Alesis Tweeter for AR-3a

Guest bocoogto

Guest bocoogto

My AR-3a's are sounding pretty muffled compared to the other systems I'm using. The output from the tweeters is very low, regardless of pot settings. I've tried various spare tweeters, but none of them put out the sound level they once did years ago. I would blame my ears, except that the Infinity EMITS, AR-2a's, Large Advents, and KLH 6's I have all sound much brighter than the 3a's.

So, I ordered two 4 ohm Alesis dome tweeters from Parts Express. They have similar dimensions and specs to the OEM tweeters in my 3a's. What do I need to do to the crossovers to get optimum performance with these new tweeters? If they have the same impedance, frequency range, and SPL, why would I need to change crossover parameters as so many posters on this site describe when using alternate speakers in an AR-3a?

If they have the same impedance, frequency range, and SPL, why would I need to change crossover parameters as so many posters on this site describe when using alternate speakers in an AR-3a?

Without running frequency response tests on the replacement tweeter there's no way of knowing whether you need to make any changes or what those changes might be.

If multiple spare tweeters have all sounded dull, you might want to consider replacing the crossover caps in one to see if that's the problem.

Guest bocoogto
Without running frequency response tests on the replacement tweeter there's no way of knowing whether you need to make any changes or what those changes might be.

If multiple spare tweeters have all sounded dull, you might want to consider replacing the crossover caps in one to see if that's the problem.

Thanks, good suggestion. I will try this. I suspect, however, that the stock AR-3a tweeters lose efficiency over the years. Maybe this is due to the materials used to hold the dome in place getting stiffer.

Thanks, good suggestion. I will try this. I suspect, however, that the stock AR-3a tweeters lose efficiency over the years. Maybe this is due to the materials used to hold the dome in place getting stiffer.

I think it's an individual thing. I just finished refurbing a pair of 3a's that came with one dead tweeter and one very weak one. I replaced both with old units dated 1968 and they work well enough that my tweeter pots are not set to full.

My AR-3a's are sounding pretty muffled compared to the other systems I'm using. The output from the tweeters is very low, regardless of pot settings. I've tried various spare tweeters, but none of them put out the sound level they once did years ago. I would blame my ears, except that the Infinity EMITS, AR-2a's, Large Advents, and KLH 6's I have all sound much brighter than the 3a's.

I had exactly the same problem. The tweeters in my 3a's were way, way behind the titanium domes in my AR - TSW's.

To see what I did to boost the output of my old 3a tweeters, check out my post in the Tweaks and Mods board.

Regards,

Jerry

Archived