AR-2a vs AR-2ax vs AR-5 Tweeters/crossovers

Guest John Faulkner

Guest John Faulkner

I am in the process of refurbishing a par of AR-2a speakers - you know, 6 bolt woofers, dual mids and orange tweeters. From studying crossover schematics it appears AR did not change the crossover when going from orange phenolic 4 ohm tweeter to black paper 8 ohm tweeter - what gives? This makes me wonder why the 8 ohm tweeter from an AR-2ax couldn't be installed in an AR-3 since the mid/tweeter crossovers section seems about the same on the two speakers. Then you have the AR-5 - could an AR-2ax be converted to an AR-5 by merely changing the mod and adding crossover elements? Are the cabinets the same, except driver cut-outs? Could I make my AR-2a into an AR-5 with new mid, tweeter and crossover elements? Some people seem to think the AR-5 hit some sort of sweet spot in speaker design, sort of like the Fuji f30/F31 cameras being better than Fuji's more recent higher megapixel cameras. Also , why was the hard orange tweeter inset into the cabinet and the paper dome flush. Would my AR-2a sound better with the newer single mid vs the old dual mid setup? One more question - one of the woofers is rather flatulent with loud bass notes (I have a replacement but would like to save this one) The cloth surround looks good, the spider appears intact. Is the voice soil bottoming out? Any way it can be saved?

thanks for any help

John

John,

The AR-2ax and 5 ultimately shared the same tweeters, pots, cabinet volume/dimensions, grille size, and woofers.

The orange dome tweeter has a much lower impedance, is more sensitive, and has a different non-filtered response than the later 3/4" AR-2ax/5 black dome tweeter.

Your woofer issue could be a very leaky cabinet, or too little cabinet stuffing....Also, check the ring that the surround is attached to. It sometimes detaches from the woofer basket as the glue dries out.

Roy

Guest John Faulkner

Roy

You are right about the masonite ring becoming unglued from the aluminum frame - any suggestions on the proper glue to use to reattach it - contact cement? Gorilla Glue? epoxy? Elmer's?

thanks

John

Roy

You are right about the masonite ring becoming unglued from the aluminum frame - any suggestions on the proper glue to use to reattach it - contact cement? Gorilla Glue? epoxy? Elmer's?

thanks

John

Glad you found the problem so quickly!

Any of the glues you mentioned should work. Of the most easily purchased glues, I personally like to use Goop for things of that nature.

Roy

Archived