New AR pictures ..

administrator

Thanks to Tom Tyson for sending over some great AR pictures. Check the main section for Tom's AR collection, the AR-3 section for a picture of the unit he donated to the Smithsonian, and the AR-3a section for a picture of the AR-3a cutaway he brought to the 40th birthday party in NYC.

And soon to come .. pictures of classic speaker guys not so classic motorcycles. Anyone else out there ride sport/race bikes?

Mark

>WOW THAT IS AN IMPRESSIVE COLLECTION. I SEE:

>

>EARLY AR-2AX

>ONE AR-2

>AR-5

>AR-3A

>Early AR-3

>AR-1

>AR-LST

>AR-4

>AR-6

>AR-7

>EVEN AN AR-3T, HOW MANY OF THOSE CAN THERE BE.

>IS THIS ALL OF TOM'S COLLECTION.

>

There are a few items not shown; for example, there are several AR-1's (including ser. no. 0074, oldest known AR-1), AR-1W's, several pairs of AR-3's, AR-3st's, AR-3t's, additional AR-3a's, AR-4's, AR-4x's, AR Amplifiers, Tuners and AR-TT and AR-XA turntables. I also have one of the AR-10Pi-pair's used in the Neil Grover live-vs.-recorded AR demonstrations done in 1976. The AR-3's shown in the picture are the same ones I donated to the Smithsonian, and are on permanent display. I am very fortunate in that most of these items are in like-new condition, as I collected them through the years. A good number of these also have original shipping cartons, etc. These speakers have lived a good life, packed away in air-conditioned space for 30+ years. On a pair of 1969 AR-3a's, the ferrite woofers still have the original foam surrounds in good shape, but only because the speakers had been packed away in low humidity for all these years. Also not shown is a pair of mint-condition early-model KLH Model Six's in Mahoghany and the last pair of original Allison: Model Ones, boxed.

At some point in the not-too-distant future I am going to lean down the collection. I'll probably sell off some of it and give some of it away (to museums, etc.)

--Tom Tyson

Archived