AR-11/10pi tweeters in AR-3a - x-over questions

Guest winters860

Guest winters860

I'm in the process of restoring a pair of AR-3a and have been following the Guide pretty closely.

One of my original tweeters is mashed. Because of my worries about the long-term longevity of the original tweeters, I had intended to use the AB Tech replacement tweeters with a .07mH choke as recommended, but the tweeter is now unavailable, at least in the short-term.

Instead, I've settled on a pair of AR-11 tweeters (AR# 200011-1, A.24 in the guide). I gather that, like the AB Tech tweeter, I should implement a choke. Should I use a .07mH choke like I would have with the AB Tech tweeter or a .1mH one like was in the AR-11? Along the same lines, should I stay with a 6uF capacitor, or use a 10uF one like in the AR-11?

Thanks for any light you AR luminaries can shed.

Instead, I've settled on a pair of AR-11 tweeters (AR# 200011-1, A.24 in the guide). I gather that, like the AB Tech tweeter, I should implement a choke. Should I use a .07mH choke like I would have with the AB Tech tweeter or a .1mH one like was in the AR-11? Along the same lines, should I stay with a 6uF capacitor, or use a 10uF one like in the AR-11?

I just did a quick test of a 200011-1 next to an original 4600-1 in a pair of 3a's last week. I tried the tweeter plain (no choke) and with the .07mH added in parallel (both with original inductor and cap in place). Neither configuration was an exact match for the original, but to my ear both could be adjusted fairly close using the level controls. I think you'll just have to try it yourself and see which you prefer, if either.

Guest winters860

Can you give us more detailed descriptions of your impressions running the comparison, Gene? I'm excited to be finally getting my AR-3a project further towards finished.

Can you give us more detailed descriptions of your impressions running the comparison, Gene? I'm excited to be finally getting my AR-3a project further towards finished.

Not until I get a chance to get back to them. I only spent about a half hour with them the first time and didn't take any notes on listening impressions other than what I already posted. I'' try to do it sometime this week.

Archived