O/T Avid to AR woofer questions

rl1856

Hello,

I recently picked up a pair of AR-5 speakers with Avid 10" woofers installed as replacements- original AR woofers are included but are in need of a refoam. The Avid woofers were a drop in replacement- same screw hole location and frame is a perfect fit for the cutout. Main difference appears to be a butyl surround instead of foam- so the compliance is probably different.

Sonically they are ok- tighter bass but not as low.

Web search indicates that this woofer was used in the Avid 102, 102a and some 103 models.

Does anyone have info on this driver, such as specs, OEM name and model number ?

Thank you,

Ross

I recently picked up a pair of AR-5 speakers with Avid 10" woofers installed as replacements- original AR woofers are included but are in need of a refoam. The Avid woofers were a drop in replacement- same screw hole location and frame is a perfect fit for the cutout. Main difference appears to be a butyl surround instead of foam- so the compliance is probably different.

Sonically they are ok- tighter bass but not as low.

Web search indicates that this woofer was used in the Avid 102, 102a and some 103 models.

Does anyone have info on this driver, such as specs, OEM name and model number ?

In the 70's, Avid produced a line of speakers that were so similar to AR models that today some people consider vintage drivers from them to be better drop-in replacements than today's AB Techservices units. Avid is still in business today, though I don't think they're making stereo speakers anymore. You might be able to get some specs from them.

If the original AR woofers only need a refoam, that should cost you less than $100, even if you have it done instead of going the DIY route. If it was me, I would do the refoams, swap out one and compare them, then use the ones I like best and box the others up for a rainy day or see what kind of resale value they have.

Archived