AR9 Rear Speaker Inputs

Guest 9450Digital

Guest 9450Digital

Hello all,

This may seem kind of a newbie question, but I recently came into possession of a pair of AR-9's. On the rear of the speaker on the upper range inputs. The red input was a bit loose. So I tightened it to support the cable I am using (PS Audio X-Stream) When I put in the banana connection into the red input the whole thing just popped right out. I notice the black was loose too. Is there a way to repair these without major surgery to the speaker itself? All of the speakers have been re-foamed. One of them works and sounds incredible.

I was curious if there was another option out there for the inputs they seem kind of cheap looking.

Thanks in advance, I wanted to use them for my listening room, I do cd mastering for a living and use B&W and Lipinski mostly but these have a nice warm zound to them and I am a sucker for old speakers! :)

Those terminals are actually fairly strong, if you just hand-tighten them. Sounds as if the previous owner might have gone after them with a pair of pliers.

Parts Express has a few different models that can be used to replace the original terminals, but you will need to install them through the woofer hole.

And with the woofers out, it will be time to replace the original upper-range capacitors, etc., etc., etc...

Guest John Gisslen
Hello all,

This may seem kind of a newbie question, but I recently came into possession of a pair of AR-9's. On the rear of the speaker on the upper range inputs. The red input was a bit loose. So I tightened it to support the cable I am using (PS Audio X-Stream) When I put in the banana connection into the red input the whole thing just popped right out. I notice the black was loose too. Is there a way to repair these without major surgery to the speaker itself? All of the speakers have been re-foamed. One of them works and sounds incredible.

I was curious if there was another option out there for the inputs they seem kind of cheap looking.

Thanks in advance, I wanted to use them for my listening room, I do cd mastering for a living and use B&W and Lipinski mostly but these have a nice warm zound to them and I am a sucker for old speakers! :)

I replaced them with neutrik speakon connectors, BUT I also cut a piece of 3/4 inch particle board to fit and glue into the recess that holds the terminals. If you look inside the cabinet, you will see that this

3 1/2 by 3 1/2 inch area is only 1/4 inch thick!!! I also rewired the internals with 12 gauge wire, and replaced all but the three biggest capacitors, and bypassed the switches on the front.

Guest John Gisslen
Is there a step by step guide somewhere to do this? Like what solder you will need? Thanks!

Electronic solder (rosin core) can be purchased at radio shack. Take pictures, make drawings, and just re-connect everything back to the proper terminals. If you are just going to tighten the existing binding posts, i would use a regular washer, then a lock washer on top. Nothing is soldered to the posts, so depending on what and if you are replacing them with, you might not need solder. You can also label wires with tape and paper notes.

Archived