Two pair of AR 8 and each pair has its own sound.

Guest Jason Miller

Guest Jason Miller

I think the one set is from 1973 and the other set is from 1974. if I look at the woofers you will see the one set has longer leads on the woofer fronts. and the other set has shorter wires. I just put new surrounds on both pair. I am getting paid to do it. I saw good will stickers on the bottoms of them. The guy only paid 12 dollars a pair. and he is paying me 40 dollars a pair to replace the surrounds. I made sure and none of the voice coils are rubbing. the speakers with the longer leads have more sound to them then the speakers with the sorter leads. as you can see the glue is not all dried. I put extra glue around the eadges after i was dry to make sure they were sealed. It will dry clear when dry. The one set has very low serial numbers. I know one is like 58 and the other is like 100 something. and the other two are alot higher.

post-102958-1219701253.jpg

post-102958-1219701278.jpg

post-102958-1219701294.jpg

post-102958-1219701305.jpg

post-102958-1219701315.jpg

post-102958-1219701326.jpg

post-102958-1219701353.jpg

Guest Jason Miller

I wish I would of found them. He also has a set of realistic mach two's he is paying me to replace the surrounds. I am charging him 60 dollars for that pair.

what I did was I put an AD on craigslist saying That I do speaker refoaming that I replace the foam surrounds. I had a few emails about it but only one person came to my house with speakers so far. and he brought 3 sets of speakers.

Guest Jason Miller

Here I found out something is wrong with my one old receiver. the A channel speakers do not sound as detailed as the B output. If I switched the wires from the ones that didn't sound as good to the B channel they sound just as good as the other speakers. Now I am wondering what is wrong with my old kenwood 4010 receiver.

Here I found out something is wrong with my one old receiver. the A channel speakers do not sound as detailed as the B output. If I switched the wires from the ones that didn't sound as good to the B channel they sound just as good as the other speakers. Now I am wondering what is wrong with my old kenwood 4010 receiver.

Jason, are you listening to both A and B channels at the same time??? Reason I ask is that often Kenwoods place the A + B in series to protect the amp. This will result in cobbled sound even with matching speakers.

If you listen to A then switch A out and listen to B, your problem is the speaker selection switch needs to be cleaned. This is a common problem on all amps.

Hope this helps ...

Regards,

Jerry

Guest Jason Miller
Jason, forgot to mention that when cleaning speaker selection switches, you must clean ALL switches. That is, not just the channel that's causing the problem.

Regards,

Jerry

they have been cleaned. I was doing A only and B only and then tried them together. For some reason when its A only or A+B together the A output doesn't sound as good. I can switch the speaker to B for ether set and they both sets sound great. also if i have it on A speaker output and only have one set of speakers it doesn't sound good. but if i turn the ballance all to the left or right then it sounds better. It's kind of a freaky problom that it is only the A outputs that don't sound as good. If you were just useing A only and didn't know any better you wouldnt know something was wrong. The B speaker output sounds more detailed. sounds more full.

I cleaned Them with control/contact cleaner before. when the left channel didn't work with A or B speakers and It didn't fix that problom. here there was a bad solder joint not letting the one relay kick in. so both left and right speakers work now. Now it has this other problem

I cleaned Them with control/contact cleaner before. when the left channel didn't work with A or B speakers and It didn't fix that problom. here there was a bad solder joint not letting the one relay kick in. so both left and right speakers work now. Now it has this other problem

If cleaning again doesn't help, then I'd look again for a bad solder joint ... possibly just before the speaker OUT posts or on the speaker OUT posts themselves.

Last possiblity would be the relays need cleaning or replacing if sealed units.

Hope this helps ...

Regards,

Jerry

Guest Jason Miller
If cleaning again doesn't help, then I'd look again for a bad solder joint ... possibly just before the speaker OUT posts or on the speaker OUT posts themselves.

Last possiblity would be the relays need cleaning or replacing if sealed units.

Hope this helps ...

Regards,

Jerry

It uses the same relay's for A and B speakers. I will have to check solder joints. I cleaned the switch again with no luck. I think its kind of funny that if i turn It to the left or right balance knob then the speaker sounds normal. and with the B output it sounds normal any way I ajust it and just goes from one to the other with the same good sound.

Well, that certainly makes more sense than two speakers sounding different because one has a longer internal woofer lead than the other.

It uses the same relay's for A and B speakers. I will have to check solder joints. I cleaned the switch again with no luck. I think its kind of funny that if i turn It to the left or right balance knob then the speaker sounds normal. and with the B output it sounds normal any way I ajust it and just goes from one to the other with the same good sound.

Jason, sure sounds like a switch problem.

Since the Kenwoods usually put the speakers in series, this means the the switches must short when they are NOT selected. What kind of speaker selection switches does your unit have? Push buttons or rotary?

If push button make sure you put cleaner in both front and back of the switch. If rotary, make sure you clean again BOTH front and back.

If nothing works, you'll have to solve this the old fashioned way with a scope to find where the signal is being lost.

Regards,

Jerry

Guest Jason Miller
Jason, sure sounds like a switch problem.

Since the Kenwoods usually put the speakers in series, this means the the switches must short when they are NOT selected. What kind of speaker selection switches does your unit have? Push buttons or rotary?

If push button make sure you put cleaner in both front and back of the switch. If rotary, make sure you clean again BOTH front and back.

If nothing works, you'll have to solve this the old fashioned way with a scope to find where the signal is being lost.

Regards,

Jerry

rotary and it has been cleaned twice. this was the first time I had the same kind of speakers hooked up to both sets of outputs. I always thought it was because they were not the same kind of speakers. That one set just sounded better then the other set. I still wouldn't of known there was a problom if i wouldnt of had 4 of the same kind of speakers hooked to it. its just the A doesn't sound as full as the B outputs. B has deeper bass and higher highs. but its funny that if i move the balance all the way left or right on A output then it sounds normal. and if i am using B output it sounds good and full of bass and good highs to the right left or centered.

Guest Jason Miller

The guy told me he is from lancaster. I found all of the speakers he has me replaceing the surrounds on listed on craigslist. I wondered how much he wanted for them before he had me replace the surrounds. http://lancaster.craigslist.org/ele/774942724.html and here was his listing for the mach two's lol http://lancaster.craigslist.org/ele/807201933.html he said they sound great. how can they sound great when the surrounds were almost gone. and if you went to press on the woofers the voice coils were rubbing. I am still waiting for the replacement surrounds to come for that set. I wonder how much he wanted for them with the bad surrounds? he is paying me 60 dollar to refoam that set and the midranges should be refoamed also but he didn't want to pay me to do them right now. I guess he figures that when they are sold its not his problom anymore.

Archived