AR-4x pair on the bay

Don't be surprised - I've received several emails from folks offering me $500 more for my LSTs (awaiting new caps) than I paid for them a few months ago. It's really bizarre and I guess there is now a real "collector interest" in AR products. I frankly hate that when it happens but I suppose if you are in the selling mode, it's a good thing. I'm sure it will pass in a while. I don't even know how anybody got my email and knew I had the a set of LSTs - I assume they were looking at this site but I don't know.

But my answer is and always will be, "Thanks, but no thanks!"

I see on that site that the 4s have all their original paper on the back. That's a good thing in general, of course, but is extremely important to a collector and I suspect that had something to do with the price. The speaker cabinets don't look all that great in the pic but it could be the pics themselves.

Guest JagHond
I frankly hate that when it happens but I suppose if you are in the selling mode, it's a good thing. I'm sure it will pass in a while.

Hello, Mexicomike.

I would hope in this, but I can't forget at the same time what has happened in the electronic tubes case... "collectors" have got huge quantities of tubes and after then no one is able to get them any longer from any side, let's think to the 5998 for example - it's impossible to get a pair of any known brand, may it be Western or Eastern, neither the few firms actually on the market are making them because they have limted their production to those which they can sell out easy (300B, EL34, 6550 and so on).

But perhaps you're right and I'm wrong: time only will tell us...

Regards,

JagHond.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1080i

AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

That's bad news for me as a former seller of an AR-4x pair. I sold a perfectly good pair with cleaned pots and new caps on the 'bay 8 months ago for $35. Only got ONE bid, from a well-known collector on this site and the 'bay, who will remain unnamed. :lol:

I should have kept them. They sold for LESS than I paid for them, and I put the work into them too...

AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

That's bad news for me as a former seller of an AR-4x pair. I sold a perfectly good pair with cleaned pots and new caps on the 'bay 8 months ago for $35. Only got ONE bid, from a well-known collector on this site and the 'bay, who will remain unnamed. :lol:

I should have kept them. They sold for LESS than I paid for them, and I put the work into them too...

Hi there;

The un-named buyer of your AR-4X's got a good buy, but could quite easly have been sniped at the last second by another bidder.

As a strong buyer on eBay up until May 14/07, I bought several pairs of AR speakers and other goodies.

With the USPS Economy pricing gone, I do not want or really need any more speakers.

OK, I lied, I do, I do, need more speakers. LOL

To sell on eBay you must decide on a minimum starting selling price that you feel is fair.

An eBay buyer is always looking for a deal.

I bought an AR-3A woofer for $0.99, I was the only bidder.

A pair of AR-2's for $9.99, I was the only bidder.

Five AR-2AX mids for $0.99, I was the only bidder.

Yes, I am a scoundrel for finding such low prices at times.

I certainly do not feel guilty that I won those auctions, I was the only bidder

I've also seen Larger Advent's listed at over $200.00 with a buy-it-now of close to $400.00.

By setting your own values you can either sell or not.

How many times have Dynaco A-25's gone over $300.00 a pair, too many.

You can't give the Dynaco A-50's away.

You can't give KLH Twelves away.

With the ever increasing cost of shipping, sadly I see more and more parting of excellent classic speakers.

You learned the hard way but at least you know that the end user will appreciate all of your efforts.

My only hope is that between members only, sales and purchases for personnal use takes place, not flipping and resale.

I feel this website is for the average person, male or female, who enjoys the hobby of hifi.

A very descriptive eBay heading usually works best.

Just my thoughts for today.

Vern

Archived