Bypassing the level pot question

rl1856

I want to investigate the effects of bypassing the level pots on a pair of 2ax speakers. I have gone through the archives and I want to verify that I understand the bypass process. My intent is to keep the resistance of the pots, but omit the level control function. My understanding is that this will effectively operate the midrange and treble drivers at the max setting of the level pots.

From what I have read, I should connect the wire from the center of the pot (wiper) to the top of the pot (input).

Is this correct ?

Thank you in advance !

Ross

I want to investigate the effects of bypassing the level pots on a pair of 2ax speakers. I have gone through the archives and I want to verify that I understand the bypass process. My intent is to keep the resistance of the pots, but omit the level control function. My understanding is that this will effectively operate the midrange and treble drivers at the max setting of the level pots.

From what I have read, I should connect the wire from the center of the pot (wiper) to the top of the pot (input).

Is this correct ?

Thank you in advance !

Ross

Hi Ross,

Yes, disconnect the pot's center/"B" terminal wire and connect it to the #1 terminal, while leaving the original wires connected to the #1 and #2 terminals. This will remove all series resistance and maintain the parallel 16+/- ohms provided by the pots.

Roy

Hi Ross,

Yes, disconnect the pot's center/"B" terminal wire and connect it to the #1 terminal, while leaving the original wires connected to the #1 and #2 terminals. This will remove all series resistance and maintain the parallel 16+/- ohms provided by the pots.

Roy

Roy,

Thank you for your reply.

By connecting the "B" wire to terminal #1, will the effect of the level pot be removed, except for resistance ? Somewhere in the archives I read where it was possible to bypass the pot, but still have the potential for mid/tweeter damage if the pot was turned the wrong way.

And a stupid question: Is terminal #1 where the wires from the cap (tweeter), and coil (midrange) are connected to ? Meaning that terminal #3 represents the connections to the drivers. Just trying to translate the schematic to what the crossover actually looks like !

Again- THANK YOU !

Ross

By connecting the "B" wire to terminal #1, will the effect of the level pot be removed, except for resistance ? Somewhere in the archives I read where it was possible to bypass the pot, but still have the potential for mid/tweeter damage if the pot was turned the wrong way.

And a stupid question: Is terminal #1 where the wires from the cap (tweeter), and coil (midrange) are connected to ? Meaning that terminal #3 represents the connections to the drivers. Just trying to translate the schematic to what the crossover actually looks like !

Again- THANK YOU !

Ross

Ross, the real issue is you MUST cut the wire going to the pot wiper. Once you solder the wires to the top of the pot, we must remove the wiper from the circuit. Leaving the wiper in the circuit could be dangerous to your amp if the pots are turned the wrong way (by a child for instance).

Roy is the expert on wiring and I'll defer to him on the exact directions for your model AR. The idea with this mod is to hard wire the pot to it's maxium output position. It leaves the 16 ohms in parallel with the drivers.

Hope this helps ...

Regards,

Jerry

Roy,

Thank you for your reply.

Again- THANK YOU !

Ross

Ross,

Attached is a photo of an AR pot showing what wire to disconnect and where to attach it. (Disregard the wire color as the shown pot belongs to an AR-3a tweeter.) Note that the pot terminals are marked "1", "2" and "B". The wire connected to the center terminal ("B") goes to the driver. Cutting this wire and connecting it to "1" will take the wiper that Jerry mentioned (Hi Jerry) out of the circuit while maintaining the pot's parallel 15 to 16 ohms between "1" and "2".

post-101150-1212020352.jpg

Roy

Ross,

Attached is a photo of an AR pot showing what wire to disconnect and where to attach it. (Disregard the wire color as the shown pot belongs to an AR-3a tweeter.) Note that the pot terminals are marked "1", "2" and "B". The wire connected to the center terminal ("B") goes to the driver. Cutting this wire and connecting it to "1" will take the wiper that Jerry mentioned (Hi Jerry) out of the circuit while maintaining the pot's parallel 15 to 16 ohms between "1" and "2".

post-101150-1212020352.jpg

Roy

Roy,

THANK YOU !

I did not realise that the connection tabs on the pot were actually numbered....makes everything a lot easier.

Speakers are playing as I type this- with the pots bypassed but resistance still in circuit.

Best,

Ross

Archived