Ultimate KLH 6 Praise

Shacky

I had been listening to new to me JBL L-36 Decades. Not sure I like them and my wife hates them.

So today I took the JBL's out and instead of my favorite AR 2AX I decided to use my KLH 6 that I haven't listened to since December. Wow - I don't remember them sounding this good! Maybe I had them wired wrong or my surround treatment improved with age. Listening to some Beatles - Abbey Road then my all time favorite Pat Metheny Group Still Life Talking. I see why Henry said he got everything right with the 6.

Then my wife comes home from work, stands in front of the KLH's and - says now that sounds wonderful :D The Ultimate praise and she proves once again that she has great taste - since she picked me :rolleyes:

I had been listening to new to me JBL L-36 Decades. Not sure I like them and my wife hates them.

So today I took the JBL's out and instead of my favorite AR 2AX I decided to use my KLH 6 that I haven't listened to since December. Wow - I don't remember them sounding this good! Maybe I had them wired wrong or my surround treatment improved with age. Listening to some Beatles - Abbey Road then my all time favorite Pat Metheny Group Still Life Talking. I see why Henry said he got everything right with the 6.

Then my wife comes home from work, stands in front of the KLH's and - says now that sounds wonderful :D The Ultimate praise and she proves once again that she has great taste - since she picked me :rolleyes:

Yes - an all time wonderful loudspeaker. I've been praising the Six for a long time, for a two way speaker it does an amazing job of ballancing mid-ranges and giving a very musical tone. Kloss is said to have spent a lot of time on the model six during developement in late 1957 and was very proud of it.

Happiness is a wife that loves you......and your speakers !

Andy

Yes - an all time wonderful loudspeaker. I've been praising the Six for a long time, for a two way speaker it does an amazing job of ballancing mid-ranges and giving a very musical tone. Kloss is said to have spent a lot of time on the model six during developement in late 1957 and was very proud of it.

Happiness is a wife that loves you......and your speakers !

Andy

Andy,

Have you ever compared the 6's and 23's?

Jim

• 1 month later...
Andy,

Have you ever compared the 6's and 23's?

Jim

Jim,

I missed your question about the model 6 & 23 last month.........putting the 6 & 23 side by side - the model 6 is to use Kloss' word "right"., it's so ballanced in it's sound. As folks have said on this forum, it's a speaker you can listen to for hours and not get tired. The model 23 in my opinion is also very ballanced with it's bass being a little deeper then the 6 thanks to the larger woofer and slight size increase of cabinet volume, both of which are the same as the super popular model 5.

The 6 is among the best acoustic suspension speakers of the 1960's. I' m also a big fan of the 23 which is a bit of a sleeper in the collector market, often pairs sell for less then $50 today. It was KLH's best two-way speaker at about $160 each in 1968. I'd say if you see a pair cheap, buy 'em

Andy

Guest bocoogto

In about 1969, we had a "speaker party" at my dad's house. We used a Dynaco Stereo 70 and PAS3 Preamp. We rigged a switchboard so we could compare three speakers by flipping a toggle switch. My friends brought an AR3a, KLH5, Large Advent, and I brought one AR2a. My dad had a pair of KLH6's.

We hooked up one speaker at a time with a mono source and listened to our favorites---Santana, Dave Brubeck, Herb Alpert, etc. After a lot of beer and music, we all agreed the most "listenable" speaker was the KLH6. The AR3a and KLH5 went lower, AR2a was smooth, and the Large Advent had a real sweet midrange, but we all agreed that we preferred the KLH6 overall.

Hard to believe, with the competition, but that's what we heard.

That same year, we had a beer tasting party with surprising results. Eight popular brands of beer were served in small, numbered cups. I remember Schlitz, Hamms, Pabst, Budwiser, Point, Old Milwaukee, and Blatz. Each person was given a list of brands served and asked to write the numbers from the cups next to each brand. You'd never believe the results. How many correct guesses do you think was the best score?

Archived