Sealant recommendations

redstone7

Hi, I'm putting it out there to everyone who not only owns original KLH speakers but also anyone that has ideas on the best sealant to use around the drivers on any sealed box/acoustic suspension type speakers. The foam gaskets that KLH used were a cheap and effective way of doing the job, but gaskets in most fields are a one time solution, I know the guy on E-Bay with the handle "Vintage AR" sells a product that looks like plumbers putty, it probably is a more pliable product and I may end up going that route but I'm here asking your experiences, I suppose I could go to a good quality automotive parts house and get a sheet of gasket material and cut new ones, but that one I'll keep on the back burner, and lastly if I do go the putty route I'm concerned that I/we will likely have to drill new holes so that the screws have enough " bite " to crush the sealant, If so there's going to be alot of holes drilled and old ones sealed around here!!! Thanks, Rob

Hi, I'm putting it out there to everyone who not only owns original KLH speakers but also anyone that has ideas on the best sealant to use around the drivers on any sealed box/acoustic suspension type speakers. The foam gaskets that KLH used were a cheap and effective way of doing the job, but gaskets in most fields are a one time solution, I know the guy on E-Bay with the handle "Vintage AR" sells a product that looks like plumbers putty, it probably is a more pliable product and I may end up going that route but I'm here asking your experiences, I suppose I could go to a good quality automotive parts house and get a sheet of gasket material and cut new ones, but that one I'll keep on the back burner, and lastly if I do go the putty route I'm concerned that I/we will likely have to drill new holes so that the screws have enough " bite " to crush the sealant, If so there's going to be alot of holes drilled and old ones sealed around here!!! Thanks, Rob

Hi Rob;

"Plumbers Putty", is the, "last putty", on an endless list of what not to use, as a driver/cabinet sealer.

In the next isle though, in the electrical department, is electrical putty, it's soft, cheap (about $3.00 per pound) and is grayish in colour.

Just roll a piece in your hand to make a long spaghetti noodle and lay it in the groove.

Being CSA approved for electrical use, should mean that it has a long and useful life.

You do not need to torque the screws back into the old holes.

Enough has been written in the AR forum regarding the original putty, 3M and other products that are also suitable.

More expensive than Vern's suggestion but a bit easier to use it the black rope caulk Parts Express sells. It's very pliable and won't dry out and easily compressed when you torque down the woofer screws. It comes in small coils attached to teflon paper. Each coil is about enough to do a 12 inch woofer.

Archived