KLH6 three way system

joany

Hi,

What do you think of performance of a three way system, based on a KLH6 ( a single gift! ) central way and two bookshelf speakers ( like Q Acoustics 1010 for example , or another one...) ?

How connect the three speakers, if you think my question is not a stupid one ?

thanks.

Hi,

What do you think of performance of a three way system, based on a KLH6 ( a single gift! ) central way and two bookshelf speakers ( like Q Acoustics 1010 for example , or another one...) ?

thanks.

Hi Joany;

I do hope that you are a woman.

I've been wanting to write about the lack of female input since I arrived here a while ago.

Your question is not stupid at all.

Someone else will need to answer about the compatibility of your two different brand speakers though.

Three speakers, usually they are identical models and 8 ohms each, can be used with a regular amp and just changing the speaker wiring slightly.

There is no big secret to this, David Hafler of Dynaco fame developed this many decades ago.

Intermixing your 3 speakers may not be a great idea but let others with more experience with your particular speakers comment, please.

Three KLH Sixes would be not a problem by themselves.

The KLH Six has a very good reputation here.

Not a very efficient speaker, but good.

Dynaco was the first company to really make an issue of smooth speaker impedance in the bass range and how it affects music and the amplifier load it sees.

This weekend should bring you much better answers than I can give you.

Hi,

thanks.

I misunderstood your question at first. I think you are talking about a three speaker system with KLH Model 6 as a center speaker. That's what I'll presume.

There are probably a lot of ways to do this. One easy way is with an HT receiver. Just connect the KLH Model 6 to the center channel output (not LFE.) if there is a narrow/wide setting set it for wide. This will provide full frequency range to the KLH Model 6. The receiver should allow you to adjust the relative loudness of the Model 6 relative to the bookshelf speakers.

The problem with this arrangement is that the difference in frequency response between the KLH Model 6 and the other speakers may be a problem. Unfortunately, HT receivers (every one I've seen) does not allow you to insert an equalizer in the tape monitor or processor path of just some channels and not others. The way around this is a little complicated but it will work. Instead of an HT receiver, you will need two integrated stereo amplifiers (receivers will do fine) a preamplifier, and a stereo equalizer. the amplifiers do not have to be the same. The preamp will be the master control. Connect the L and R outputs of the preamp to corresponding aux inputs of the two amplifiers. If the preamp has only one set of output jacks, use two Y adaptors. insert the equalizer in the tape monitor circuit of the amplifier used for the L and R speakers and switch it to monitor. Connect the KLH Model 6 to either channel of the other amplifier and switch it to monophonic. To adjust, set the L/R bookshelf speaker's amplifier to monophonic. Try to adjust the equalizer so that the bookshelf speakers sound as close as possible in timbre to the KLH Model 6. This will require a lot of patience and may take a great deal of time for trial and error. Don't expect good results quickly and make only one or two small changes at a time. Then see if you are getting closer or further away. Write down your settings. You are best off playing just one bookshelf speaker placed next to the KLH 6 for making this comparison. Verify that the bookshelf speakers are in phase with the KLH speaker by placing one of them facing the KLH 6 a foot or so apart and put your head between them. Adjust the loudness so that they are equally loud. The sound should be coming from inside your head. If it does not but seems diffues, turn off the amplfier to the KLH 6 and reverse the speaker connections. When you are done matching timbre, place the speakers in the positions you desire and set the L/R speaker amplifier to stereo. The volume controls on the amplifiers will allow you to adjust their relative levels independently. If the KLH speaker has better bass, you may want to exploit that by turning up the bass control or engage the Loudness control on the amplifier driving it. The good news is that all the equipment you need should be available used at very low prices. KLH Model 6 should be easy to drive by any modern amplifier. It needs about 20 or 30 watts RMS minimum, a walk in the park by today's standards. Good luck.

Hi,

thanks.

I misunderstood your question at first. I think you are talking about a three speaker system with KLH Model 6 as a center speaker. That's what I'll presume.

There are probably a lot of ways to do this. One easy way is with an HT receiver. Just connect the KLH Model 6 to the center channel output (not LFE.) if there is a narrow/wide setting set it for wide. This will provide full frequency range to the KLH Model 6. The receiver should allow you to adjust the relative loudness of the Model 6 relative to the bookshelf speakers.

The problem with this arrangement is that the difference in frequency response between the KLH Model 6 and the other speakers may be a problem. Unfortunately, HT receivers (every one I've seen) does not allow you to insert an equalizer in the tape monitor or processor path of just some channels and not others. The way around this is a little complicated but it will work. Instead of an HT receiver, you will need two integrated stereo amplifiers (receivers will do fine) a preamplifier, and a stereo equalizer. the amplifiers do not have to be the same. The preamp will be the master control. Connect the L and R outputs of the preamp to corresponding aux inputs of the two amplifiers. If the preamp has only one set of output jacks, use two Y adaptors. insert the equalizer in the tape monitor circuit of the amplifier used for the L and R speakers and switch it to monitor. Connect the KLH Model 6 to either channel of the other amplifier and switch it to monophonic. To adjust, set the L/R bookshelf speaker's amplifier to monophonic. Try to adjust the equalizer so that the bookshelf speakers sound as close as possible in timbre to the KLH Model 6. This will require a lot of patience and may take a great deal of time for trial and error. Don't expect good results quickly and make only one or two small changes at a time. Then see if you are getting closer or further away. Write down your settings. You are best off playing just one bookshelf speaker placed next to the KLH 6 for making this comparison. Verify that the bookshelf speakers are in phase with the KLH speaker by placing one of them facing the KLH 6 a foot or so apart and put your head between them. Adjust the loudness so that they are equally loud. The sound should be coming from inside your head. If it does not but seems diffues, turn off the amplfier to the KLH 6 and reverse the speaker connections. When you are done matching timbre, place the speakers in the positions you desire and set the L/R speaker amplifier to stereo. The volume controls on the amplifiers will allow you to adjust their relative levels independently. If the KLH speaker has better bass, you may want to exploit that by turning up the bass control or engage the Loudness control on the amplifier driving it. The good news is that all the equipment you need should be available used at very low prices. KLH Model 6 should be easy to drive by any modern amplifier. It needs about 20 or 30 watts RMS minimum, a walk in the park by today's standards. Good luck.

Hi,

thanks.

Hi,

thanks.

Hi again Joany;

Please read and re-read this in it's entirety before drawing a picture for yourself to follow.

Your amplifier should have the power turned off for the following mod.

I think I should go ahead and just describe the simple Hafler method.

You will need to accept that you have 2 - 8 ohm speakers presently, left and right front for stereo.

Is this correct?

We know that the KLH six is 8 ohms already.

If so, one pair of wires to each speaker is marked, hopefully at the amplifier end, +/- or 8 ohm and 0 maybe.

The speakers should also have +/- or 8 ohm and 0 at their wire connections.

Is this so?

These two wire pairs will both be identical to both speakers, Yes?

That is an important detail!

If they are reversed to each other this will not work correctly.

If correct, have another pair of wires to the KLH Six speaker, noting +/- or 8 ohm and 0.

If you are correct and understanding of all of the previous info we can proceed.

Disconnect the - or 0 wires from the amplifier connections from the speakers.

Connect the KLH speaker - or 0 wire to the amplifiers - or 0 or com connections, (under both screws).

Connect the other KLH speaker wire + or 8 ohm to the two disconnected loose ends of the two other speaker - or 0 wires.

Summary; your original two front left and right + or hot or 8 ohm speaker connectors are still connected to the amplifiers + or 8 ohm or hot connection, both left and right.

Your KLH Six + or 8 ohm or hot connection connects to the loose ends of the two speakers removed from the amp - or 0 or com wires only.

The KLH - or 0 or com is the only connection at the amp to both 0 or com screws.

More of a summary; the amp will still have the original left and right hot connected and 0 or com connected to the same single wire to KLH - or com.

This is assuming that your amplifier can have both - com or gnd terminals connected together.

There has only been a few very rare amplifiers that this cannot work with.

Archived