AR-14 grills

Guest retreatwi

Guest retreatwi

I have a pair of these but the grills are missing when i bought them. Can anybody tell me if the grills were fabric or foam? If they were foam, is there a source for foam that I could maybe make a pair of grills?

thank you

I have a pair of these but the grills are missing when i bought them. Can anybody tell me if the grills were fabric or foam? If they were foam, is there a source for foam that I could maybe make a pair of grills?

They were foam, the exact same as the AR10pi and AR11. Unfortunately, although they were available a few years ago from AB Tech, the last time I checked they were out of them and there were no more coming. It always pays to double-check, though.

Others have mated two thinner pieces of acoustically transparent foam (somehow) and cut the edges down to make it look something like the AR sculpted grills. You may have to hollow the foam a little to allow for the tweeter's dome.

If it were me, I'd build a frame that looked like the sculpted edge of the original foam, stretch some black grill cloth on it and let that be that. The foam was about $90 shipped when it was available.

thank you

The attached is an attempt to specify the grilles refered to below.

I did it a while ago, so there may be some errors, always check any measurements to your speaker.

AR10pi_11_14_Foam_Grille.pdf

Archived