Cloning the Snell Type A

Pete B

Just thinking about this, what drivers I might use, and any improvements that

might be made. Don't plan to actually do this without having a real pair and

other interested parties.

Anyone have details as to the woofer section?

Woofer is 4 ohms I believe since the system is rated at 4?

Enclosure volume, shape, bracing?

Woofer was a 10" I think, any T&S parameters.

The Advent woofer, or a pair might make a nice replacement.

The woofer faces back if I remember correctly?

Just curious Pete and Bluzmaster.

What is it about the Model A compared to the tens of thousands of other speaker brands and models that have been produced since its inception that would inspire one to go thru all the trouble to clone one?

Guest Bluzmaster

What is it about the Model A compared to the tens of thousands of other speaker brands and models that have been produced since its inception that would inspire one to go thru all the trouble to clone one?

Carl -

I'm not trying to clone the Snell type A. I just happened to have run in to a pair for sale cheap a few years ago, didn't know a thing about them, except that I knew something a bit special was going on given the seperate "sub-woofer" type configuration and unusual cabinet shape. The more I checked, I discovered their place in the history of speaker design.

Mine happened to have been a little "messed-up" by some previous owner, a tweeter and mid on one side having been replaced w/ some Radio Shack junk! So I figured I'd have a nice little project trying to restore them as close as possible to their original "glory" and have an unusual pair of decent sounding pair of speakers when I'm finished. I've been married longer than these have been around, but not so fortunate as to have been able to afford them when new (I was a half-starving, full-time musician back then). So now I have an abused pair and I'm just trying to put them back together, that's all. Pete's the psycho who wants to clone them. But I must admit, I do think that trying to duplicate them sounds like a kool project.

B

P.S. Carl, do you have a copy of the specs for the 4 ohm version of the Audax HD12X9D25 ? Please... I need to stop obsessing about this.

Oops, sorry B to put you into the cloning group.

No, I don't have the specs for the Audax tweeter. I suppose you found the 8 ohm version spec sheet at the Audax web site?

The Model A owners manual states the impedance for the entire speaker is MINIMUM of 4 ohms. This doesn't dictate the tweeter to be 4 ohms. The manual also states the tweeter to mid xover point is 2500 hz. This is a very common xover point for 1 inch dome tweeters.

I think you should just find a 6-8 ohm Re soft dome tweeter with an Fs in the 600-1000 hz range, SPL around 90 and design a 3rd order LR xover and be done with it. Pete B. could help you with that aspect. If new resistor, cap and inductor values are needed for the new tweeter, all you'll have to do is substitue them for what's in there now.

I think trying to find a match for the original tweeter will be fruitless unless you get reall lucky with ebay and find an exact vintage Model A tweeter.

FYI,There's a 9X8 D25 (slightly smaller face plate) version up for bids on ebay now you may want to look at. http://cgi.ebay.com/Audax-HD-9x8-D-25-twee...ksid=p1638.m122

Anyway, good luck...

I just like to study the classic legendary designs. And I think that

this system is a solid, no BS 3-way. I'm not sure that I'd like the

exact voicing, however I'm certain that I could fix it if not.

The main area that I question about the design, is if the lower end

of the mid is able to cover the range where the distant woofer

leaves off. Not sure if I like the downfiring woofer.

A pair of Advent woofers might be a good substitute in a similar but

improved design.

We've gone over the midrange specs, the tweeter specs.

All that's needed now are the woofer and enclosure specs.

I have no plans to build an identical enclosure, but I do like

having the design fully documented.

I actually think that the Type A has more potential for an upgrade, with

it's low diffraction face, and close mid-tweeter spacing, than many

bookshelf and other designs. By the way Carl, I have cloned

several other legendary designs, I just do it for the enjoyment, to

learn, and because many say it can't be done.

You've probably seen my main rig, inspired by B&W801s but with far

more output capability. It is my own design:

http://members.aol.com/basconsultants/spkrs.jpg

Guest Bluzmaster
Oops, sorry B to put you into the cloning group.

No, I don't have the specs for the Audax tweeter. I suppose you found the 8 ohm version spec sheet at the Audax web site?

The Model A owners manual states the impedance for the entire speaker is MINIMUM of 4 ohms. This doesn't dictate the tweeter to be 4 ohms. The manual also states the tweeter to mid xover point is 2500 hz. This is a very common xover point for 1 inch dome tweeters.

I think you should just find a 6-8 ohm Re soft dome tweeter with an Fs in the 600-1000 hz range, SPL around 90 and design a 3rd order LR xover and be done with it. Pete B. could help you with that aspect. If new resistor, cap and inductor values are needed for the new tweeter, all you'll have to do is substitue them for what's in there now.

I think trying to find a match for the original tweeter will be fruitless unless you get reall lucky with ebay and find an exact vintage Model A tweeter.

FYI,There's a 9X8 D25 (slightly smaller face plate) version up for bids on ebay now you may want to look at. http://cgi.ebay.com/Audax-HD-9x8-D-25-twee...ksid=p1638.m122

Anyway, good luck...

Carl -

Even though the Audax site archives show no such listing for a 4 ohm HD 12X9D25, it has been reported by other Type A owners that the DC resistance of the tweeter was around 3.x ohms and I have seen a photo of this tweeter with "4 ohms" printed on the back.

That being said, if I just get something close to the same specs, why would it be necessary to "design a 3rd order crossover."? Why wouldn't the existing crossover be sufficient?

We've been talking about one good possible candidate being the Audax TW025A2. 4 ohm, Fs 900hz, sens 93dB.

Thanks for the input, Carl. Your opinion is always appreciated.

B

• 2 weeks later...
Carl -

Even though the Audax site archives show no such listing for a 4 ohm HD 12X9D25, it has been reported by other Type A owners that the DC resistance of the tweeter was around 3.x ohms and I have seen a photo of this tweeter with "4 ohms" printed on the back.

That being said, if I just get something close to the same specs, why would it be necessary to "design a 3rd order crossover."? Why wouldn't the existing crossover be sufficient?

We've been talking about one good possible candidate being the Audax TW025A2. 4 ohm, Fs 900hz, sens 93dB.

Thanks for the input, Carl. Your opinion is always appreciated.

B

The Audax should work fine, you might want to add an L-Pad to adjust for the

higher voltage sensitivity.

Archived