ar fans in holland

fred

• 3 weeks later...

Nope -- not in Holland. I'm down in Paris. Not very close but closer than the States! I'm listening to AR-5s powered by my AR amplifier -- sounds good! And I have a single AR-6 that I'm using at the office as a quasi-subwoofer for some smaller speakers. Enjoy!

Guest M. Miller

Hello Fred,

I live in the south of the Netherlands (Zuid Limburg). I've had two pairs of AR4 (AR-4x and AR-4xA's) and I am currently using a pair of AR-2x, I got them relatively cheap in a thrift store. I refoamed the woofers and waxed the cabinets. They look and sound awesome! I'm using a Proton Dual mono 50 watt power amplifier to drive them.

Regards,

Marc

Hello Fred,

I live in the south of the Netherlands (Zuid Limburg). I've had two pairs of AR4 (AR-4x and AR-4xA's) and I am currently using a pair of AR-2x, I got them relatively cheap in a thrift store. I refoamed the woofers and waxed the cabinets. They look and sound awesome! I'm using a Proton Dual mono 50 watt power amplifier to drive them.

Regards,

Marc

Hi Marc;

Is is possible for you to photgraph the front of the AR-2X's without the grille cloth, please.

Please post the serial numbers as well.

There is at least 4 - 5 different variations of them out there.

Two different tweeters, 2 1/2" and 3 1/2", 3 different woofers, alnico 10" aluminum, transitional dual frame and final steel frame.

There is no posted record of the serial numbers and time periods during their production.

They may have an un-known crossover point for each, if they were different.

I have never read a review or introductory sheet yet, and I'm looking forward to someday doing so.

I'm guessing that they may sound healthier than AR-4X's, and close to the KLH Twenty-Three or KLH Six dual speaker systems.

Guest M. Miller

Hi Dan,

I will take some pictures when I get home this afternoon. I'm at school right now.

What's the difference between the woofers? Mine have square magnets.

Are they very rare? I hardly see them for sale online.

they sound like big AR4s, with a bit more laid back treble, my AR4's sounded a bit harsh.

Regards!

Marc

Guest M. Miller

AR2X_nieuw.JPG

The AR's are placed this way because it sounded better, in case you were wondering :P

Serial Numbers are HX08302 and HX08301

Regards!

Marc

Guest M. Miller

AR2X_nieuw.JPG

The AR's are placed this way because it sounded better, in case you were wondering :P

Regards!

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just like to let you all know, living close to Hilversum, NL.

I own a nice pair of AR5's, bought them 2nd-hand somewhere around 1985. I had the woofer-foam replaced by Audiolab, they did a greatjob. Using a Sansui B77 th drive the AR5's and I love the warm and clear sound !

Greetings,

Eddie

The AR's are placed this way because it sounded better, in case you were wondering :)

Regards!

Marc

Hi Marc;

Thanks for the photo.

I think I see a layer of padding under the cabinet?

You are the first person that I have seen use the cabinets, in what is considered at least, upside down.

You have the later 2 1/2" tweeter and a later 4 bolt 10" steel frame woofer.

Archived