3a drivers on a 3?

genek

While reading the thread on AR-3a tweeter options, I noticed that AB Tech Services is listing the same replacement woofer, mid and tweeter for the 3 and the 3a (among others). Setting aside the question of how "original" the sound would be, has anyone heard these drivers on an AR-3 (not 3a) with its original crossover? I was just wondering what this combination might sound like.

Guest bocoogto

AR sent the 3a tweeters for replacements in the AR3 under warranty in the '70's. They sent an inductor to add to the crossover of the AR3 to make the new tweeter cross over at a lower (or higher?) frequency.

I had four AR3's that were original in every way. They sounded similar to AR3a's except the highs were even more muted in the AR3's. I much preferred them with the 3a tweeters. With my Dynaco and McIntosh tube amps, all four of the original tweeters failed. AR was super about replacing them. All you needed was a serial number and they sent a new tweeter. I'll bet I received at least six under warranty and more after the warranty expired. None of these were a result of bad solid state amps. I always had tube amps. Too bad you can't buy the tweeters now. I still have four AR3's and two AR3a's.

AR sent the 3a tweeters for replacements in the AR3 under warranty in the '70's. They sent an inductor to add to the crossover of the AR3 to make the new tweeter cross over at a lower (or higher?) frequency.

I had four AR3's that were original in every way. They sounded similar to AR3a's except the highs were even more muted in the AR3's. I much preferred them with the 3a tweeters. With my Dynaco and McIntosh tube amps, all four of the original tweeters failed. AR was super about replacing them. All you needed was a serial number and they sent a new tweeter. I'll bet I received at least six under warranty and more after the warranty expired. None of these were a result of bad solid state amps. I always had tube amps. Too bad you can't buy the tweeters now. I still have four AR3's and two AR3a's.

Hi there;

Almost unbelieveable the number of bad tweeters.

When I had to have mid replaced on one of my 2Ax's and, a few years later, a tweeter on of my AR3As, AR required that the speakers be shipped back to them at 24 Thorndike St. They paid for the shipping both ways. I guess they figured out that was costing too much and began sending the raw drivers out for the customer to replace.

When I had to have mid replaced on one of my 2Ax's and, a few years later, a tweeter on of my AR3As, AR required that the speakers be shipped back to them at 24 Thorndike St. They paid for the shipping both ways. I guess they figured out that was costing too much and began sending the raw drivers out for the customer to replace.

At some point this became easier to do. My early-70's AR-6's had glued-on grilles, but my mid-70's 2ax's had velcro-retained grilles. Both speakers had woofer connections that used spade lugs and clips and didn't require soldering to change out the drivers. From what I read on these forums, I gather that earlier models had soldered connections.

Archived