Type A Crossover

Guest Bluzmaster

Guest Bluzmaster

Does anyone out there know what order filtering was employed in the Type A crossover? 1st, 2nd, 3rd order, etc? Pete, you've gotta' have something on this.

Guest Bluzmaster

Oh man... I forgot that was there. Thanks, Carl, 'sorry about that.

What my concern is, the new tweeters I'm seeing all seem to have a higher Fs than the originals and I'm thinking this might cause a bump in the sound at that frequency. However, I cannot for the life of me find a spec sheet on the 4 ohm HD12X9D25. The 8 ohm has Fs of 800 hz +/- 120. A lot of tweeters I've been looking at have an Fs of 1100 hz or so.

Is this a valid concern or am I over thinking this?

Oh man... I forgot that was there. Thanks, Carl, 'sorry about that.

What my concern is, the new tweeters I'm seeing all seem to have a higher Fs than the originals and I'm thinking this might cause a bump in the sound at that frequency. However, I cannot for the life of me find a spec sheet on the 4 ohm HD12X9D25. The 8 ohm has Fs of 800 hz +/- 120. A lot of tweeters I've been looking at have an Fs of 1100 hz or so.

Is this a valid concern or am I over thinking this?

I would appreciate it if you could trace out and post the schematic for the woofer section

of the Snell Type A, please note if the woofer is wired in phase with the input terminals or

not.

The TW025A2 is rated for 900 Hz Fs, are you leaning toward the Vifa?

Either should be fine as long as the resoance is well below the passband. I'd estimate the

-3dB for the tweeter circuit to be about 2.5 KHz, as an educated guess which is far enough

above the resonance so that it should not be an issue.

Pete - According to the Audax catalog at Madisound, the TW025A2 has an Fs of 1090 hz.

More detailed data for both drivers is provided here by Audax where the TW025A0

is shown as 1090, and the TW025A2 as 900 Hz, note that the plots are a bit off from

the tabulated data:

http://www.madisound.com/pdf/printcatalog/audaxcatalog.pdf

Guest Bluzmaster
More detailed data for both drivers is provided here by Audax where the TW025A0

is shown as 1090, and the TW025A2 as 900 Hz, note that the plots are a bit off from

the tabulated data:

http://www.madisound.com/pdf/printcatalog/audaxcatalog.pdf

You know what? At the top of the page, in the "list" the 'A2 is listed @ 1090, but in the individual detailed specs below it's rated @ 900.

It looks like a pretty good match. The only problem is, a match to what? The only reference we have are the specs for the HD12X9D25 in an 8 ohm, and we now know it was a 4 ohm. This missing piece of the puzzle is rather critical. I guess I'll just keep searching. It'll turn up somewhere.

Archived