AR-2s

dxho

I picked up a pair at a thrift store years ago. Of course, tweeters weren't working, which turned out to be bad/dirty pots and a blown tweeter. Covers were also ruined. In my ignorance, I trashed the remaining good tweeters, and replaced them with 4"x6" 3 way car speakers.

The sound was bottom-heavy, and I thought the 4x6s might open up the sound a bit (they did). I didn't know until recently this is not that bad a kludge (even if it is a sacrilege), given the low crossover frequency of the woofers and ancient, original caps. I'd consider replacing the tweeters, but they don't come up that often on that auction site. I built new frames for the covers from thin plywood and Radio Shack material.

As a side note, I already had the ARs, 2 KLH sets (17s and Research X CB-10s), and the baby Advents when I found this excellent site. It's really increased my appreciation and my preferences. I used to think the 17s were the best until I really compared the AR 2s.

Now I want a set of AR 3s! I'd go for the LSTs, but I already have an FM tuner fetish B)

post-102671-1203394863.jpg

post-102671-1203394887.jpg

I picked up a pair at a thrift store years ago. Of course, tweeters weren't working, which turned out to be bad/dirty pots and a blown tweeter. Covers were also ruined. In my ignorance, I trashed the remaining good tweeters, and replaced them with 4"x6" 3 way car speakers.

The sound was bottom-heavy, and I thought the 4x6s might open up the sound a bit (they did). I didn't know until recently this is not that bad a kludge (even if it is a sacrilege), given the low crossover frequency of the woofers and ancient, original caps. I'd consider replacing the tweeters, but they don't come up that often on that auction site. I built new frames for the covers from thin plywood and Radio Shack material.

As a side note, I already had the ARs, 2 KLH sets (17s and Research X CB-10s), and the baby Advents when I found this excellent site. It's really increased my appreciation and my preferences. I used to think the 17s were the best until I really compared the AR 2s.

Now I want a set of AR 3s! I'd go for the LSTs, but I already have an FM tuner fetish :)

Hi there;

The dual tweeters do come up on ebay every month or so.

Special packaging for the trip and honesty of the seller has been a huge problem for me.

I've lost over 18 due to one or the other or both issues.

Certainly well worth your time and effort to acquire a pair to re-store your speakers.

Hi there;

The dual tweeters do come up on ebay every month or so.

Special packaging for the trip and honesty of the seller has been a huge problem for me.

I've lost over 18 due to one or the other or both issues.

Yikes. I thought shipping tuners was a pain.

Certainly well worth your time and effort to acquire a pair to re-store your speakers.

Yeah, I should. I really have enjoyed these speakers the most over the last decade.

Archived