Confused about which Advent is which!!

Guest bamacoo

Guest bamacoo

Hi gang, I am confused & am looking for some clarification.

I have an original pair of Advent Loudspeakers with the toggle switch for the high-frequency, they are utility Advents with the fried-egg tweeter and Masonite woofers and grill spacers and vinyl covering. Now a few days ago I purchased what were supposed to be a second pair of Advent Loudspeakers in pure walnut and with the Bull-nose and rounded corners, except when I brought them home and looked at the back they said Advent/1. Now this gets weird to me at least.

The original Advent Loudspeakers are 25 1/2 x 11 1/2 x 14 1/4 and these walnut speakers are 26 x 11 1/2 x 14 1/8 and they don't have the toggle switch for the high-frequency in the back!

What are they and why do they say Advent/1 if they are this size?

Now comes another question. If you know the answer to the above can you please also tell me if I can stack these with the originals? I am using a Harman Kardon PA-2400 Signature Series Hi-Current power amp 170x2 into 4 or 8 ohms and a Conrad Johnson PV-2 preamp. If this is feasible do I connect them + to + and from the first pair connect speaker wire from + to + and - to - on the second pair?

See attached pictures.

Thanks in anticipation. B):mellow:

Cheers!

bamacoo :lol:

post-102875-1203366112.jpg

post-102875-1203366188.jpg

post-102875-1203366344.jpg

post-102875-1203366364.jpg

You essentially got New Large Advents without the frequency switch. There must have been some confusing transition where they were putting out these hybrids. All Advent/1s I've seen in vinyl were in the shorter cabinets. I wouldn't have any problem stacking those with original Advents. Try it and see if you like it. I would put the walnut ones upside down on top of the originals.

Guest bamacoo
You essentially got New Large Advents without the frequency switch. There must have been some confusing transition where they were putting out these hybrids. All Advent/1s I've seen in vinyl were in the shorter cabinets. I wouldn't have any problem stacking those with original Advents. Try it and see if you like it. I would put the walnut ones upside down on top of the originals.

Thank you very much jackfish. How about the wiring? Should I go from power amp + to + and - to - to the first pair and then same from the first pair to the top pair?

Thanks

Thank you very much jackfish. How about the wiring? Should I go from power amp + to + and - to - to the first pair and then same from the first pair to the top pair?

Thanks

Yes, that would be in parallel and present your amp with an approximate 4 ohm load. It appears that your amp can handle a 4 ohm load so you should be all set.

Guest classic carl

Bamacoo, I think somebody worked on those New Large Advents and used the crossover board from an Advent/1. They used the same drivers, but I'm not sure if they used the same crossovers. Advent/1's were only sold in the vinyl "utility" cabs and are smaller. They are basically the second generation of the Smaller Advent but are 8 ohms, not 4. There is a thread on AK called "Identifying your Advents" which is very helpful. There are photos of every Advent known to man, before they went to crap. By the looks of your Advents, I think they were refinished and re-grilled. Whoever did the work did a nice job from the looks of the photos.

I agree with Carl. I think somebody stuck Advent/1 crossovers in your New Advent cabinets

I think Advent made the Advent/1 crossover to be the same as the New Advent set on normal but I'm not absolutely sure about that. :)

Doug

Guest MarkAnderson

I'd agree that the o/x boards were changed out at some point. Either that, or someone goofed at the factory.

The Advent/1 was indeed offered in walnut veneer, although I think the numbers were fairly limited. If I can find a pic, I'll post it. They were quite attractive, IMHO.

Well, apparently I'm full of crap. Here's a pic of the one I was thinking of, but supposedly it's still vinyl-clad. My bad.

Mark, I wouldn't feel so bad about being full of crap when talking about such an attractive speaker. :) It IS a real looker.

I guess these were the later /1s huh?

Doug

• 11 months later...
Guest Audiomark

I guess these were the later /1s huh?

I have a pair of these, and they are definitely real wood veneer.

And, all joking aside, they do look rather attractive with their grilles on. Advent went to a fair bit of effort with the grilles, two plastic mouldings, inner and outer cloth, integral cups.

Archived