air core inductors

point-618

Parts Express sells a Jantzen copper foil inductor that's .08 mH which is close enough. #255-600

Also available from Parts Express are the .05 mh (part#255-200) and .10 mh (part#255-202) 18ga air core Jantzens. These are more like the AR inductors, and will cost less than $3 each compared to $10 for the copper foil variety. The .10 inductor can easily be unwound two or three turns.

After much experimentation with the AB Tech tweeter, I settled on the smaller .05 mh inductor, a .82 ohm resistor (part#004-.82) in series with a new capacitor, and an l-pad in place of the old pot.

Roy

Roy the diagram in the ar restoration show the inductor soldered to the pot on the early 3a like i have.Do i need to solder wires to the ribbons, or do they have adhesive on them. I hve the original pots in them so what is my best choice,the solid 18 gauge .05,.10? Iam all mechanical a zero with electronics ,so thanks for all the help.

Roy the diagram in the ar restoration show the inductor soldered to the pot on the early 3a like i have.Do i need to solder wires to the ribbons, or do they have adhesive on them. I hve the original pots in them so what is my best choice,the solid 18 gauge .05,.10? Iam all mechanical a zero with electronics ,so thanks for all the help.

Attached is a photo of a quick mock-up of the easiest (solderless) way of installing the AB Tech tweeter and inductor without removing the woofer. It is probably best to stick with the .07mh value if you are staying with the original level control and capacitor. Note that the polarity is the reverse of the original tweeter's connection (yellow wire now goes to the - side, and the black wire to the + side of the tweeter). Keep the inductor at least 1/2" away from the tweeter magnet.

Feel free to email me through the forum. I have some extra inductors I can share with you. The one in the photo is an AR #14 (.105mh) I unwound to the proper value.

Roy

post-101150-1202669983.jpg post-101150-1202669995.jpg

Archived