Noob with very basic question

Guest Tinnitus

Guest Tinnitus

I have a bunch of old speakers and hifi, and am interested in sorting through it to figure out what I have. To start, I have a pair of AR-3a's, two pairs of AR-4x's and a pair of AR-4's. I'm trying to put an approximate date on them without tearing them open since they are all intact and working.

I first googled onto these pages looking for the "AR speaker model history - chronological order" page, which is supposed to be in the Library section, but I simply can't find it. Could someone direct me to the page? I hope that page will have the different AR models and the time range they were made in. For example I believe the first build dates for the AR-3a was 68, the first build date for the AR-4 was 64, and the first build date for the AR-4x was 66 (this is based on reviews in HiFi magazines), but I don't know when they stopped making any of these. Hopefully the chronological order page would also have some way to decode the serial numbers, but that may not be possible. Also interesting would be a summary of differences between the different models - e.g. the 4 and 4x.

My next question would be whether there are similar pages for other speakers - I also have some Bose, Bozak, Jensen, KLH, Rectilinear and Scott speakers I would like to research and date.

Thanks!

Nice collection of vintage stuff you have there. You might as well post your serial numbers if you want that level of detail. There was a general table that gave date ranges on the old site. I suspect Mark will eventually get to depositing it in the library eventually. However, give us the serial numbers and some of the historians will help pin down a closer production date and describe differences as well.

Suggest you post your other brand models and ser. no's on the other respective groups and sit back and wait for responses.

Good luck!

Guest Tinnitus

OK, great. The AR-3a's are the best of the lot, beautiful condition cherry veneer, I could only get to one of the serial numbers: ser. 3A-05599. I think they are pre-1970 based on the stereo equipment I bought with them.

It turns out I have three sets of AR-4x's (no AR-4's). The walnut veneer are FX-3260XX, the stained pine are FX-1380XX, the painted pine are FX-2129XX.

Thanks!

Nice collection of vintage stuff you have there. You might as well post your serial numbers if you want that level of detail. There was a general table that gave date ranges on the old site. I suspect Mark will eventually get to depositing it in the library eventually. However, give us the serial numbers and some of the historians will help pin down a closer production date and describe differences as well.

Suggest you post your other brand models and ser. no's on the other respective groups and sit back and wait for responses.

Good luck!

The timeline is back up in the AR section. I know there are a bunch of corrections pending - is anyone working on a new spreadsheet?

Mark

Archived