Ar9lsi repair project

Guest vidsmith66

Guest vidsmith66

Hello, I own a pair of ar9lsi speakers am doing research to begin replacing my rotting woofers, found replacement woofers for the 8'', 12'' and 10'' but need some advice. 1. how in the world do I remove the 10'' down-firing woofer? I'm assuming it must be done from the inside but not sure. 2. while doing all this I'd also like to replace the foam surrounding the lower bass port as it is rapidly turning to dust. Can I just use any stiff foam cut and glued to the right specs or is there a type of foam that is better for speaker cabinets? 3. I figure while I have these monsters apart it might be a good idea to refinish the cabinets (oiled walnut finish) are there any refinish kits available or should I just refinish like antique furniture? I also have the original owners manuels for both speakers if anyone is looking for them.

any help greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, I own a pair of ar9lsi speakers am doing research to begin replacing my rotting woofers, found replacement woofers for the 8'', 12'' and 10'' but need some advice. 1. how in the world do I remove the 10'' down-firing woofer? I'm assuming it must be done from the inside but not sure. 2. while doing all this I'd also like to replace the foam surrounding the lower bass port as it is rapidly turning to dust. Can I just use any stiff foam cut and glued to the right specs or is there a type of foam that is better for speaker cabinets? 3. I figure while I have these monsters apart it might be a good idea to refinish the cabinets (oiled walnut finish) are there any refinish kits available or should I just refinish like antique furniture? I also have the original owners manuels for both speakers if anyone is looking for them.

any help greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Refoam, don't replace those 8",10", and 12" drivers. To remove the 10" first remove the 12" woofer. Pull back some stuffing and you will see/feel four nuts holding down the 10". Remove these nuts, disconnect the speaker leads and lift the 10" out through the 12" hole. Parts Express sells a 1" foam sheet that can be cut to size to replace the bass port foam.

• 3 months later...
Guest vidsmith66
Hi,

Refoam, don't replace those 8",10", and 12" drivers. To remove the 10" first remove the 12" woofer. Pull back some stuffing and you will see/feel four nuts holding down the 10". Remove these nuts, disconnect the speaker leads and lift the 10" out through the 12" hole. Parts Express sells a 1" foam sheet that can be cut to size to replace the bass port foam.

Hey thanks so much for the info about removing the subwoofer, great advice about Parts Express, I've used them before to repair my early 70's advents. any suggestions for where to get the refoam kits or should I just buy a universal kit, do the measuring and use that? Also having these speakers professionally refoamed is not out of the question as I originally got them for free when I won a radio contest promo

years ago so sinking some money into preserving them is also an option. Thanks again.

Archived