9LSi, circa 1984, value?

Hi,

A friend has a pair of AR9Ls speakers (upgraded crossovers to 9Lsi spec.) which he would like to sell. Can you suggest how much they are worth? Are these speakers easy to sell?

Drivers are in excellent condition other than woofer and midrange dust caps being pushed in.

Thanks,

Adnan

I just got finished getting a pair of AR-9's up and running. Cabinets are mint, and I re-foamed all four 12" woofs, the 8" lower mids, and replaced one dome upper mid. I drove from Jersey to Pennsylvania to get them, and paid $300 for them. In the process of getting them back up to speed, I spoke with the "speakerdoctor". It was my assumption, that if manufactured TODAY, the AR-9 would have a retail price of ABOUT $10,000/pair. It seems I was wrong. The doctor felt the price would be more along the lines of between $12-14,000/pair. My guess is, whatever the market will bear. You couldn't get me to part with mine for under $5,000 right now.

Toasted Almond

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am looking for a set of AR9's from 1984. Do you have a photo avaialable? Are they still available? I have a set,but am looking for another for a family member. They usually range between $400-600 depending on their condition. Usually at this point they need new foam edge on the suspension on the woofers,and midrange. I have also seen alot of them with blown tweeters due to excessive clipping. A few questions: are they cosmetically sound(scratches,etc)? Are all the drivers working? Are the foam suspension rings rotted & cracked? Can you please let me know if you still have them. I would be interested if they are in good shape. Shipping is usually very expensive due to their weight. Can you let me know where you live. I'm in Michigan. Hopefully you still have them especially with this long email. Thanks, Al Email response is fine.

I have a pair of AR-9LS's. These are arguably the best or second best speakers AR ever built. Of all the AR-3's, 3a's, 2's, LST's that I own or have owned, the AR-9LS's definitely handle the most power. The crossover change between the 9LS and 9LSi is a simple one. I have always wondered why they reversed the + and - leads on the tweeter with the 9LSi version. Did anyone ever try leaving them as they should be? Was this an error or on purpose?

Some like the AR-9's built in the 1970's better, but I believe the LS's have a better mid and tweeter. The person who refoamed my cones said value is between $800 and $1200.

Richard Boneske

Archived