Dynaco Cabinet Care

Shacky

I purchased a pair of very good condfition Dynaco A25's on eBay after reading many great reviews of this classic speaker. I have been thrilled witht he sound these little guys put out. Driving them with a Pioneer SX950 and it's the best sounding system I've ever had!

My cabs are in pretty good shape but can use some freshening. There are numerous "spots" were it looks like the finish is a litte stained. What's the best way to freshen them up? Are these veneer? Should I use light sandpaper of fine steel wool or the like?

My wife has Danish teac oil. Would this be appropriate?

Thanks,

Jim

I've been refinishing Dynaco A-25s with great success lately. What I recommend you do first is get some 0000 steel wool from Home Depot, as well as some Orange Oil. Both are in the "paint" section near the sand paper, stain, etc. Rub the surfaces you want to freshen up with the 0000 steel wool, always going in the direction of the grain. Then apply the Orange Oil with an old sock. You might be shocked and delighted at how the grain jumps out at you. Minor scratches will also disappear. If you have a surface that's too badly damaged for 0000, try 320 grain sand paper under a flat art gum eraser. Then do the steel wool, then the Orange Oil. This will work so long as your Dynacos are "real" A-25s, with real walnut veneer. Most are. I did have one pair of A-25VWs, and I couldn't work magic with them. Eventually, I settled for Polying (matte) all the surfaces and they looked pretty good, but not like the real thing. Hope this helps! Let us know how things turn out.

I was looking at your listing on the for sale forum. Outstanding looking Dynacos! How did you get the grill material so clean? I had a Dynaco emblem fall off mine and I can't find it anywhere - looked in vacuum cleaner bag. Are these available anywhere?

I'm currently working on a bunch of AR 2ax's I picked up. I may call you after I get rid of some of these. My wife loves the Dynacos - she 1/2 Danish!

Jim

>I was looking at your listing on the for sale forum.

>Outstanding looking Dynacos! How did you get the grill

>material so clean? I had a Dynaco emblem fall off mine and I

>can't find it anywhere - looked in vacuum cleaner bag. Are

>these available anywhere?

>

>I'm currently working on a bunch of AR 2ax's I picked up. I

>may call you after I get rid of some of these. My wife loves

>the Dynacos - she 1/2 Danish!

>

>Jim

Hi there;

Ebay has the logos once in a while for sale.

A great little speaker.

Good luck.

Woah, that would be great! My house is getting over-run by Dynacos! It's labor-intensive, but you can soak the Dynaco screens in warm water and remove them from the frames. Then keep soaking them and rinsing them until they're clean enough for you. Then re-attach them using a glue gun. That part requires a lot of attention to detail and resistance to frustration. A friend and I do it over wine and coffee, chatting the whole time. When the Dynaco tags fall off, I re-attach them to the screws using Crazy Glue.

--C

Archived