AR-LST

Guest sfogg

Anyone interested in a pair of LSTs that need some TLC? Don't really want to sell them but they probably should go somewhere they will be used/appreciated.

One cabinet has shipping damage on a couple of the corners. I started to patch them years ago but just haven't touched them in a long while and have to many other projects. The other cabinet isn't as bad but really they both should be redone to look their best. Structurally they are still very solid.

They are of apparently different vintage as well. One has drivers with the tinsel leads on the front of the drivers the other has them in the rear. I have been told by AB Tech that electrically/sonically the drivers are the same. The cabinet on one looks like it has a removable access panel on the rear of the cabinet and the other doesn't have that. Both have grills but are missing the LST badges and the knobs for the autoformers.

All the drivers work in both cabinets and the woofers have been refoamed. I need to check but I think I picked up a couple of spare mids and tweeters as well at some point.

I would really rather not ship them (that is how the cabinets got beat up in the first place) so local pickup/delivery is prefered in the MA/RI area.

I have seen the prices on e-bay for units in great shape but haven't seen what a pair like these would go for so I'm open to offers on them.

e-mail is s_fogg@comcast.net

Thanks,

Shawn

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I inquired with Shawn regarding the drivers and crossovers. In spite of several emails I am still waiting for Shawn to get back to me with a price for any or all of the drivers and crossovers?

Shawn, are you there?

Wally

>I inquired with Shawn regarding the drivers and crossovers.

>In spite of several emails I am still waiting for Shawn to get

>back to me with a price for any or all of the drivers and

>crossovers?

>

>Shawn, are you there?

>

>Wally

Hi Wally;

It would be a real shame to remove the crossovers and discard the enclosures.

For all the work involved building one, you would probably be better off with the complete existing enclosures as well.

A little TLC and patience would bring the enclosures up to near mint status.

Ok, maybe a little more, than just a little.

They have a special place in my heart.

I bought some AR drivers locally, years ago, from discarded AR-LST enclosures and the crossovers were already junked.

Shawn, please let me know if you are going to junk the enclosures, please.

We'll talk after you settle with Wally, please and thank you.

Hi Vern,

Generally I'm in favor of retaining vintage equipment as complete and as original as posssible.

In this case the cabinets are not matched nor are the drivers so I suspect the sound from each speaker would be somewhat different.

Were I closer and could pick up the speakers, I would take them complete but shipping costs become prohibitive relative to fair market value for this pairbecause they are not matched. I would have used the drivers to maintain other complete AR speaker systems and possible to work on building my 'ideal' AR speaker for my application.

This discussion is moot however since I have not heard back from Shawn recently regarding pricing or what he intends to do with the speakers. Perhaps he has sold them already.

I currently own a pair of LST's. I had planned to use the woofers out of Shawn's in my better matched pair, assuming the woofers were the same. My LST's have Tonegens for woofers and at Bret's urging I am going to replace them with originals.

The saga continues. When I did not hear back from Shawn, I ordered a pair or 12's from Dale and now they seem to be lost somewhere in the mail system. I suppose I'll either end up with no replacements or they'll all become available and I'll have drivers coming out the ying yang.... LOL

I'd be much happier with scenario 2........

>Hi Vern,

>

>Generally I'm in favor of retaining vintage equipment as

>complete and as original as posssible.

>

>In this case the cabinets are not matched nor are the drivers

>so I suspect the sound from each speaker would be somewhat

>different.

>

>Were I closer and could pick up the speakers, I would take

>them complete but shipping costs become prohibitive relative

>to fair market value for this pairbecause they are not

>matched. I would have used the drivers to maintain other

>complete AR speaker systems and possible to work on building

>my 'ideal' AR speaker for my application.

>

>This discussion is moot however since I have not heard back

>from Shawn recently regarding pricing or what he intends to do

>with the speakers. Perhaps he has sold them already.

>

>I currently own a pair of LST's. I had planned to use the

>woofers out of Shawn's in my better matched pair, assuming the

>woofers were the same. My LST's have Tonegens for woofers and

>at Bret's urging I am going to replace them with originals.

>

>The saga continues. When I did not hear back from Shawn, I

>ordered a pair or 12's from Dale and now they seem to be lost

>somewhere in the mail system. I suppose I'll either end up

>with no replacements or they'll all become available and I'll

>have drivers coming out the ying yang.... LOL

>

>I'd be much happier with scenario 2........

>

Hi Wally;

Regarding the woofers you are expecting from the US, how were they coming?

USPS economy, USPS air, UPS, Fedex?

If USPS economy, allow one month normally, with the Christmas rush expect six weeks to two months.

I bought 2 pairs of LST's in the last 10 years, used and not abused too badly.

I restored the worst pair to about 95% as new.

My two pair of LST's are different, one pair has the rear crossover mount and the other pair from the woofer opening.

One pair has original tweeters, front wired, the other pair has front wired enclosures, I used rear wired tweeters with foam faces.

I haven't even checked out the crossovers.

There is several variations of LST crossovers.

A power resistor addition, switch supplier change, and capacitor issue.

I have photocopies of 2 - AR-LST blue prints from AR but blue prints copy as black and are very difficult to read now.

Hi Vern,

No I haven't. Too bad. I could have used some of those drivers in legitimate restorations and a possible homebrew 'super' AR 3a.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you and Bret and all the other neat folks who hang out in this forum.

Have a healthy, happy and musical new year.

May Santa bring us many more wonderful experiences with vintage gear.

Remember, when you restore vintage gear, you are recycling.....!!!!!!!!

>Hi Vern,

>

>No I haven't. Too bad. I could have used some of those drivers

>in legitimate restorations and a possible homebrew 'super' AR

>3a.

>

>Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you and Bret and all the

>other neat folks who hang out in this forum.

>

>Have a healthy, happy and musical new year.

>

>May Santa bring us many more wonderful experiences with

>vintage gear.

>

>Remember, when you restore vintage gear, you are

>recycling.....!!!!!!!!

Hi Wally;

Sad, that one member would try to openly sell a classic speaker system on this website, and seemingly abandon the other member during negotiations.

I am sure we'll be hearing more about this in the future.

I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, could be health, job or a family situation.

I do hope it's nothing too serious, though.

I was hoping in the end, that maybe, I could buy the enclosures and maybe the crossovers.

Wishing you and yours a wonderful Christmas and all the very best in 2006.

I wouldn't give up on Shawn, just yet, Wally.

Hi Vern,

Too bad there was no answer from Shawn. Would be nice to know one way or the other, just common courtesy.

It's ok if someone cahnges his mind or sells elsewhere but advising whomever one has communicated with would seem to be reasonable.

Mind, I get lots of 'tire kickers' who ask questions about an item I might have for sale, even make an offer and then just don't respond again.

I recently accepted an offer on a turntable I had. The guy came back and said no, he was making another deal. OK with me because it was less than I originally wanted and people like that usually turn out to be trouble because they will find things to pick about.

Most people don't know that once an offer is accepted there is a legally binding contract and the person who breaks that contract can be successfully sued. Other wankers just know that very few of us would pursue legal action for such small amounts of money so they play their games.

So far I have been fortunate and aside from a couple of very late deliveries for various reasons I have received what I was promised.

Some people have sent me items before I sent the money and I have done the same. If I get a good feeling about someone through several emails or a telephone conversation I will send before I get paid to save time. Touch wood I haven't been stung yet.

Anyway, enough of that. Have to install my refoamed woofers in my AR58's which I have not heard yet.... will report on these soon.

>Hi Vern,

>

>Too bad there was no answer from Shawn. Would be nice to know

>one way or the other, just common courtesy.

>

>It's ok if someone cahnges his mind or sells elsewhere but

>advising whomever one has communicated with would seem to be

>reasonable.

>

>Mind, I get lots of 'tire kickers' who ask questions about an

>item I might have for sale, even make an offer and then just

>don't respond again.

>

>I recently accepted an offer on a turntable I had. The guy

>came back and said no, he was making another deal. OK with me

>because it was less than I originally wanted and people like

>that usually turn out to be trouble because they will find

>things to pick about.

>

>Most people don't know that once an offer is accepted there is

>a legally binding contract and the person who breaks that

>contract can be successfully sued. Other wankers just know

>that very few of us would pursue legal action for such small

>amounts of money so they play their games.

>

>So far I have been fortunate and aside from a couple of very

>late deliveries for various reasons I have received what I was

>promised.

>

>Some people have sent me items before I sent the money and I

>have done the same. If I get a good feeling about someone

>through several emails or a telephone conversation I will send

>before I get paid to save time. Touch wood I haven't been

>stung yet.

>

>Anyway, enough of that. Have to install my refoamed woofers in

>my AR58's which I have not heard yet.... will report on these

>soon.

>

Thanks Wally;

As I mentioned in my earlier writing, there may be health, job or family issues that supercedes Shawn's hobby interests.

I always try to think the best of people and sometimes, the not knowing eats away a little.

At least if he emailed you an explanation things would be better.

I am a trusting person and found my trust has a very high success rate, touch wood.

I am assuming you received your 12" woofers for Christmas?

Were they the older cloth surround version or foam surround?

One incident I had with an ebay purchase I made.

The items I purchased had been improperly packaged and didn't survive to journey.

I emailed both directly to and via ebay but no response.

I am not an aggessive person by nature, but that was the time I stood up and complained numerous times.

I believe it was over a week and maybe 6 or 8 emails later I finally received a reply.

The seller stated he did not receive any emails from me until the final one.

Now I have seen on ebay, that some have problems with AOL and there may be also problems with ebay forwarding, as well.

My point is one actress was sued and lost her case when she had lunch or something and promised to appear in a movie, I believe, after she changed her mind not to do it.

They had reached some sort of verbal agreement over a meal.

When I wrote my last email to the seller, I brought up about mail fraud.

By selling what was obviously drivers that had to be DOA and physically damaged after the ebay photo was taken and before packaging and mailing them would be constituted as mail fraud.

Here in Canada and maybe in the USA this would come under Federal Postal Regulations jurisdiction.

I was given a full refund, no explanation, but this would have been icing on the cake.

The items were 2 tweeters that were well packaged in a sense, if you were going to just put them in storage maybe.

One magnet had bashed the screen and dome of one but the other was mint but dead.

There was not any possible way for this to have happened in that carton.

The seller took my word for it, and I am thankful for that.

I am not ever expecting something for nothing.

Communication is so important.

The fact of being able to obtain those irreplaceble drivers is gone forever.

I always, well maybe not quite always, send an introduction to the sellers before I start to bid.

First I tell them who I am, where I live, how I will pay, how I would like it shipped and ask for it to be well packaged and sometimes I'll suggest a certain special packing technique.

Haven't had too many problems with just this.

When Paypal, Fedex, UPS or not selling outside the USA are carved in stone, I just move on to another auction.

I have only had one bad issue and it was over USPS and UPS.

They look the same and sound the same and that one caused one bad blemish in my ebay record.

I gave full marks in her ebay feedback for her attempt to communicate, she turned around and tore a strip off me in the ebay feedback.

I turned the other cheek, as I was never going to win that one.

There is a little more to this story, but being a gentleman I won't continue.

Please, continue to attempt resolution with Shawn, please, and let us know the final outcome.

Have a very happy and prosperous New Years to you and yours, Wally.

Hey Vern,

I'm not losing any sleep over it.

The AR58s's had original woofers in them but they needed re foaming.

They're done and they sound very nice. The bass sounds a little laid back but maybe these new surrounds need to be 'broken in'. I'm not sure if that's necessary because I've seen differing opinons on that. Anyway, so far so good. I'll compare against my LST's in the next few days. I'll compare again when I get my vintage AR3a woofers from Dale (for the LST's). They should be on the way now. I'm hoping they will be better than the Tonegens. Not that the Tonegens sound bad but Bret has convinced me that the original woofers will have more bottom end and will sound better overall.

Have a great new Year yourself,

May your health continue to improve and may your family and friends bring you happiness in the coming year.

Archived