For Sale 2 Pair AR-3a $75 each/obo

Guest YoungDave

Guest YoungDave

For sale - 4 AR-3a loudspeakers $75 each obo, sell in pairs only. I have owned these speakers since buying them used in 1975. In case you don't remember, these were the highly acclaimed state-of-the-art circa 1964 (12" acoustic suspension woofer, 1 1/2" mid dome, 3/4" high dome). They are on rather ordinary sand-filled 30" black wooden stands (included). In 1990 I replaced the capacitors in the crossovers with modern film caps and removed the useless and scratchy pots from the crossover circuits. I always found, as did many other owners, that the mid and high-range pots always had to be set at max anyway as the woofer makes a lot of bass. In 2003 I replaced the foam woofer suspension. Some of the mids and tweets have been replaced over the years but always with AR drivers. There are scratches, which you may be able to see in the pictures, and I include a picture showing a chip out of a rear corner. These speakers are indeed well used but not abused; the enclosures are structurally sound and the scratches don't show too badly as I rub oil into the walnut every few months.

post-100795-1086749414.jpg

post-10-1086749414.jpg

198.txt

post-10-1086749415.jpg

• 10 months later...

I would be interested in the drivers from one pair of these speakers if you are prepared to take them apart. I will pay your asking price. All I want is the components, speakers and crossover.

regards, Wally

Hi Dave,

I wrote to you earlier regarding wanting the woofers. I will take all of the components of both sets of speakers and pay you the $75 each you requested. You can sell the boxes to the other fella that was inquiring. I really could use the speakers and they will find a good home in my AR-LST's. The rest will be kept as spares.

please let me know one way or the other,

regards, Wally

>For sale - 4 AR-3a loudspeakers $75 each obo, sell in pairs

>only. I have owned these speakers since buying them used in

>1975. In case you don't remember, these were the highly

Stan,

I just noticed the original ad was placed in june of 2004. Speakers are probably gone now.

regards, Wally

>What is the status of these speakers? If might be interested

>in the cabinets and/or stands if Wally wants to purchase just

>the guts. Where are you located?

>

>

Archived