Cizek Model 1 refoaming

Guest srcooper2001

Guest srcooper2001

I have owned a fabulous set of Cizek Model 1's since 1982. I've never had them refoamed, but it is time. Would someone give me some suggestions on how to go about this ? Thanks

You can pick up 10 inch foam surrounds from a number of sources. I use eBay.

This is something you can do yourself-- Here's how I do it.

You will need to remove all of the old foam from the cone (by now it should just rub off with your fingers-- don't use a knife.). Also, the old glue will need to be removed from the basket. I use a Stanley Utility knife to scrape it off.

Aleen's tacky glue works pretty good for installing the new surrounds. (Available at a fabric store.)

Keep your fingers clean.

Put a small bead of glue on the outer edge of the cone cone and the backside of the inner ring of the surround. A bead 1/16 inch wide should be enough. It's better touse less than more you can always add a little where needed. Use a Q-Tip to smooth the glue out so it covers the outer edge of the cone (about 3/16 inch) and the back side of the inner edge of the foam surround. Let sit for a few minutes.

Place the surround on the cone and position it so it is centered. You will be able to move it around until you get it correct. (I try to use the area where the old glue was as a guide.) Then apply pressure by using your thumb on the front of the cone and middle finger on the back of the cone. (Check the outer edge of the surround to make sure it is centered one the outer edge of the basket as well.) Work all the way around until the glue sets. I use a Q-tip with a little water to wipe off any excess glue that squeezes out. Leave this overnight.

Apply a bead of glue to the basket and the back of the outer edge of the surround and use a Q-Tip to smooth it out. Then start working the outer edge until it sets up-- apply pressure again along the surrond and outer edge of the basket until the glue sets.

While doing this, make sure the voice coil former does not rub. Gently move the cone up and down and listen carefully for any scratching noise. Rotate the speaker when doing this so you check multiple points. If you hear a scratchy sound, reposition the outer edge of the surround one direction or the other until the noise stops.

I then give the speker a test with a low level bass signal (Use a CD with some good bass) to make sure it sounds right.

If you make a mistake, you can remove the surround and try again with another.

You can also practice on a old woofer before trying your Model Ones if you have one around.

One thing to keep in mind. Your Cizek woofers are unique and very rare. Just be careful and take your time and it will work out fine.

If you're not comfortable refoaming them yourself, you can send them out. There are a number of places that will do this for you.

>I have owned a fabulous set of Cizek Model 1's since 1982.

>I've never had them refoamed, but it is time. Would someone

>give me some suggestions on how to go about this ? Thanks

Archived