Human Speakers

Guest cleaneduphippy

Guest cleaneduphippy

I know many of you are aware of Huw Powell for the work he did (and still does) on EPI/Genesis speakers, and no doubt, some of you have used his services in maintaining your vintage EPIs. Anyway, was wondering if any you have heard any of the speakers that he builds under his Human Speaker line? In particular am interested in hearding thoughts on his Model 81 and QT-2+ speakers.

Thanks.

• 9 months later...

I used to have a pair of EPI 100's and for purely nostalgic reasons bought a pair of the Human 81's. They are everything you would expect and more with deeper more nuanced bass and cleaner highs than the old EPI's. They quickly became my main speaker replacing the JBL 166 three ways I bought back in 1977. I later built larger enclosures for the 81 drivers using the 81+ dimensions on Huw's website. This gives me an EPI 150 like speaker with enhanced low end detail. I have also built a pair of Human 88-41's in some pygmy enclosures that are half the height of Huw's product and are about 2/3 the volume. They beat the B&W, Polk, and Paradigm towers I have heard.

All in all, if you buy the Human 81 speakers you will not be disappointed. If you are handy, buid a pair of 81+'s. Either is a speaker to love, especially with jazz and acoustic music. Huw is a good guy and he is trustworthy. It may take three to six months to get your speakers, but you will get them and he does not charge your card until the speakers ship.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived