What to use as a Center Channel for Allison Ones

Guest mrl

I'm brand new to the list--just found out about it on the AVS forum speakers list where I asked a similar question to the following.

I've got a pair of original Allison Ones, which are in great condition, that I've used in a 2-channel system for 30 years or so. I'm now going to a 7.1 channel system and am intent on using my Ones as the main front speakers in it. My question is whether anyone else has done this, and if so, what they've used for the center channel to keep the timbre balance. I was going to buy a new Allision Center, but the "reorganization" has made communication with the company impossible for both me and my local dealer, so I'm looking elsewhere.

I'm also interested in anyone's ideas about what characteristics I should look for in a potential center channel to maximize the chance of finding a satisfactory balance.

(I've received much advice to the effect that I shouldn't be on this quest, and I should just get a new matched set of mains and center. I appreciate the advice, of course, but I love the sound of the Ones and will spend a lot of time trying to make this work rather than give up on it.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Mike

First off, welcome to this very valuable resource site.

It is wonderfully maintained by Mark.

This site is supported by a number of friendly and knowledgeable people.

As we arrive home from a day of work all tired and broke to our toy room, called, hifi room, you will be receiving tips and advice as they see your topic.

The quest for the Holy Grail is one thing , but, the quest for the hifi buff, now we're talking.

I personally don't own Allisons.

Now that I've told you that, it really doesn't matter what I own, but, I am an addict for several speakers including AR.

Your quest for the elusive 7.1 system will be a little bit of work on your part.

But it will be well worth all of your efforts.

My suggestion, and you will receive other ideas as well, would be to check out eBay for Allison family speakers.

In other words, Allison Ones, and onward down the list of then current models about the age of your Allison Ones.

This would be in keeping with the same or similar voicing sound.

Because I'm not an Allison owner I really can't suggest which models or price to consider.

Just as a sideline note.

1. If you had AR-LST's in front and AR-3a's side and maybe AR-4x's as fillers you would have a family sound at an really affordable price. Also you don't need as much power or money.

2. If you had the AR-LST's and you didn't want to make any compromises at all, you need the money, had the large amps to drive them, and the space to accommodate them, you might have searched for and bought at a healthy price only AR-LST's.

3. Or AR-3a's only added to your AR-LST's. This would be less $ than all AR-LST's but sound wise, we would probably not notice much of a difference.

Each point I'm making is because I don't know the Allison speaker family.

If there was physical changes such as different or modified drivers or crossovers in a model you would want to search for that particular version.

If there wasn't mods during the manufacturing cycle of your Ones then you have an easier time just trying to locate ex. oil walnut or oak enclosures.

Ebay may not have very many original used Allison drivers and buying a system with dead speakers at a good price must be weighed as the less than abundant availablity of used drivers might outweigh a cheap deal.

Room size, I didn't touch as well as how much you should expect to pay for used speakers.

You would be looking for good to fair condition enclosures and flawless sounding drivers.

Un-modified systems might be best and drivers not working might not be the easiest to find used to replace.

There is, I believe, replacement drivers but they may not be Allison OEM drivers. The sound may be quite a bit off original.

Don't spend any money just yet.

Much feedback will follow soon.

Good luck with your choices. Rattle, rattle, rattle

Vern

ps I certainly recommend fusing each speaker system!

>I'm brand new to the list--just found out about it on the AVS

>forum speakers list where I asked a similar question to the

>following.

>

>I've got a pair of original Allison Ones, which are in great

>condition, that I've used in a 2-channel system for 30 years

>or so. I'm now going to a 7.1 channel system and am intent on

>using my Ones as the main front speakers in it. My question

>is whether anyone else has done this, and if so, what they've

>used for the center channel to keep the timbre balance. I was

>going to buy a new Allision Center, but the "reorganization"

>has made communication with the company impossible for both me

>and my local dealer, so I'm looking elsewhere.

>

>I'm also interested in anyone's ideas about what

>characteristics I should look for in a potential center

>channel to maximize the chance of finding a satisfactory

>balance.

>

>(I've received much advice to the effect that I shouldn't be

>on this quest, and I should just get a new matched set of

>mains and center. I appreciate the advice, of course, but I

>love the sound of the Ones and will spend a lot of time trying

>to make this work rather than give up on it.)

>

>Thanks in advance for any help.

>

>

Hi,

I use a NHT Super Center, center channel speaker, between my Allison Ones. It is a very good match. It blends so well that I can't tell it is there. A nice match would be an Allison Four if you could find one. If I could find three Allison Fours cheap enough I would run two as surrounds and one as the center channel.

Dave,

Many thanks for the information. NHT doesn't seem to sell the Super Centers any more--instead they have SC-1s and Sc-2s in the Super Audio line. Do you have any idea whether these are in any way comparable to the Super Center? The price is certainly most reasonable!

Mike

>Hi,

>I use a NHT Super Center, center channel speaker, between my

>Allison Ones. It is a very good match. It blends so well that

>I can't tell it is there. A nice match would be an Allison

>Four if you could find one. If I could find three Allison

>Fours cheap enough I would run two as surrounds and one as the

>center channel.

>

Vern,

Many thanks for the good food for thought. I probably should read a lot of the posts in this group. I've got a pair of wonderful old AR 4xs in the store room as well, which I fully intend to use again someday. In "my day" EVERYBODY in my dorm wanted ARs!

Cheers,

Mike

Hi again Mike

The reason I gave so much rattle, rattle is because if you wanted a match for your older speakers the Original drivers (OEM) are no longer made and haven't for years.

The new ones, if any are available at this time, may sound different as there has been many changes in the industry over the years and sometimes only the brand name is the same.

I know I've read somewhere on this website comments about when there was a takeover or merger or resurrection that the owners were unable to obtain original materials or equipment and so I recommended eBay as one possible used source for older speakers.

Yard sales, swap meets, second hand stores, classified ads, estate sales, etc are other resources.

Even to find a match for your AR-4x's would require a little work on your part, but these are also available in quantities and often just the drivers are more readily available on eBay.

Much more readily available than your Allison drivers by far.

Good luck again with your quest, Mike.

Vern

ps The NHT Super Zeros are at times available on eBay.

I also have a pair of these and there are especially surprising clarity considering their small size.

They do lack the bass though. Good down to about 100hz.

Look up Stereophile's site, for I believe, its archived speaker reviews and they still have the review on the Super Zeroes, with and without the subwoofer, for all to read as well as some other speakers, etc.

There is a USA version and a Chinese version. A close look at the rear panel will show which is the country of manufacture.

Which one is better?

I would prefer the USA version, which I believe would be the earliest ones, but I can't say for sure that the only difference is just the countries.

They may or may not have the same sound.

In otherwards the drivers may have been made in China since new.

Rattle, rattle, rattle.

You have a great evening, Mike.

Vern

>Vern,

>

>Many thanks for the good food for thought. I probably should

>read a lot of the posts in this group. I've got a pair of

>wonderful old AR 4xs in the store room as well, which I fully

>intend to use again someday. In "my day" EVERYBODY in my dorm

>wanted ARs!

>

>Cheers,

>Mike

• 4 weeks later...

¡°The NHT Super Zeros¡­ There is a USA version and a Chinese version. A close look at the rear panel will show which is the country of manufacture.¡±

Is there actual physical difference or just Made in the USA or Made in China labels difference?

Minh Luong

Hi there Minh

>Is there actual physical difference or just Made in the USA or

>Made in China labels difference?

Sorry, I don't have that factual information.

My comment was because I believe the earliest product was manufactured solely in the USA and later went to off shore production.

The cabinet, crossover and drivers may have been imported from day one as separate parts and assembled in the USA.

Perhaps Ken Kantor or someone else may wish to add some insight to this question, if this is not a conflict of interest or breaking a confidentiality agreement.

Several decades ago I was told that Winchester rifles were manufactured in the USA and shipped to Canada.

The Winchester warehouse here in Canada had a metal lathe inside and somehow that allowed them to say their products were made in Canada.

This allowed for a more favourable duty rate.

Rumours aren't only in hifi.

EPI 100 speakers were selling for less here in Vancouver than in the country of origin, the USA.

I have seen on ebay the two different labels.

>¡°The NHT Super Zeros¡­ There is a USA version and a Chinese

>version. A close look at the rear panel will show which is the

>country of manufacture.¡±

>

>

>Minh Luong

>

Hi, Vern

All I know is in the beginning NHT drivers were made in Japan by Tonegen same as late ¡¯80 and early ¡®90 AR drivers. Then switch all orders to Taiwanese made which really degrade the quality a great deal. The majority of NHT drivers and crossovers were made in Taiwan and assembled in the US. I have not seen anything made in China during the time Ken was still leading the Company¡­ I wouldn¡¯t surprise the flashy new NHT speakers now a day are made completely from China since Cost is definitely cheaper compare to Taiwan and US. With tight Quality Control, Made in China HiFi gears definitely look and feel solid.

I admire Ken¡¯s earlier NHT speakers a lot due to their unique cabinet designed, accurate music reproduction and pin point imaging¡­

Minh Luong

• 1 month later...

>I've got a pair of original Allison Ones, which are in great

>condition, that I've used in a 2-channel system for 30 years

>or so. I'm now going to a 7.1 channel system and am intent on

>using my Ones as the main front speakers in it. My question

>is whether anyone else has done this, and if so, what they've

>used for the center channel to keep the timbre balance. I was

>going to buy a new Allision Center, but the "reorganization"

>has made communication with the company impossible for both me

>and my local dealer, so I'm looking elsewhere.

Hi Mike,

I have not re-visited this site in a year perhaps, which is why I'm just putting in my 2 cents now.

I'm right behind you, having a pair of new conditon Allison:One's since 1978 and I have done the jump to Home Theater. I completed my setup in Nov. 2001 with a Hitachi 53" HDTV Rear Projection TV. That was the last thing I did, because anybody can go out and buy a big TV. I wanted to get the sound right first.

So far as "timbre balance" is concerned, any Allison model that you can get your hands on which will physically fit in your layout would be a satisfactory match to the One's in an HT layout. A three way Allison speaker is really tough to do because all of the Allison 3 way systems are tall and difficult to place in the center spot with any praticality.If you keep checking on Ebay, something will eventually come up. Hopefully, this international venture on the part of Allison will benefit all of us down the road in terms of build quality of replacement drivers as well as new systems.

Back to what I did for Center, (and the rest) my center consists of (2) Allison model NL 1440's wired together in series. They are set on top of the Hitachi monitor, with a slight downward tilt to compensate for the height of the soundstage between the One's which are 12 feet apart on the main wall. I have them resting on their sides so the tweeters are centered and the 8" woofers are on opposite ends. The center setup is driven by one of 5 channels of my Sunfire Signature amp. (405 rms.)

I have done 5.1 rather than 7.1 for two reasons. The side walls of my listening room make side axis channels impratical. Secondly, the prisim shape of the One's already provides reflected sound to the side walls and I feel the front side wall surrounds would be un-necessary.

My back channels are mixed for the same reason you can't find a center speaker yet. No more NL 1440's are available and since I wanted to double up the center channel, I needed an additional 2 way system. So, I compromised (but not really) by taking one of the NL's from the back and using that one to double my center. I replaced the missing rear NL surround with an AL 115 I bought on EBAY for 30 bucks. I refinished it in semi gloss black to match the NL 1440, put a new grille on it and replaced what I was told was a DOA tweeter. After checking the internal wiring I found the tweeter to be A ok, so now I have a backup. The NL 1440 and AL are nearly identical except the 115 has a larger cab. and is a bit more efficient. I use the processor to attenuate the AL 115 -1db.and it works beautifully.

The last big fininshing touch is a Velodyne HGS 18 sub. This brings the whole system together and takes the load off my aging Allison systems in terms of pumping out bass.

>(I've received much advice to the effect that I shouldn't be

>on this quest, and I should just get a new matched set of

>mains and center. I appreciate the advice, of course, but I

>love the sound of the Ones and will spend a lot of time trying

>to make this work rather than give up on it.)

I first thought about giving up, that would have been a colossal mistake. 5 years later I could not dream of giving up my system for anything else.

Regards,

Bill M

Archived