Allison Twos - what are they worth?

Guest smw

A neighbor who's moving just gave me a pair of Twos that he was tossing out. The woofers need foam and at least one mid's magnet (I haven't taken them all out yet) has become disconnected from its front panel. I'm fairly sure I can fix the mid, and I know I can redo the foam on the woofers if I feel like it (although the cones are covered with some sort of sticky substance to make the job a little trickier), but I'm wondering if I should just part these out. I figure each pair of tweeters is worth at least $60 on eBay, and a pair of mids, $70, that's $260. The rest of the system doesn't appear to have much value by itself (I only have 3 grilles, one of which is cracked). The cabinets are in fair shape, but usable.

I hate to break up a pair of classics like this, but I have to consider the impracticality of shipping something so large and heavy (although I supposed I could just drop them off at the UPS store and let them deal with it). I have too many speakers as it is, and these are not as good as my current favorites (Infinity Kappa 8a), so they're definitely going to be sold, one way or another. So what I'm wondering is if anyone out there knows what a pair of these would be worth, either with or without repairing the foam. Surprisingly, there's nothing even remotely similar on eBay, either current or completed.

Thanks,

Steve

Guest floweringlotus

>.. but I'm wondering if I should just part these out. ...The rest of the system doesn't appear to have much value by itself (I only have >3 grilles, one of which is cracked).

>Thanks,

>

>Steve

>

Hi Steve, I am interested in your grills for the TWO's. I don't need four of them anyway, it's just that over the years, a couple of them have had cats back up to them! UGHHH! I was horrified to say the least. Otherwise they are in great shape.

I hope you are interested in parting them out. I had written to the new owners of Allison a long time ago, and they are not carrying any of the older parts...

Thanks much,

Leslie

I'm in California, btw

>A neighbor who's moving just gave me a pair of Twos that he

>was tossing out. The woofers need foam and at least one mid's

>magnet (I haven't taken them all out yet) has become

>disconnected from its front panel. I'm fairly sure I can fix

>the mid, and I know I can redo the foam on the woofers if I

>feel like it (although the cones are covered with some sort of

>sticky substance to make the job a little trickier), but I'm

>wondering if I should just part these out. I figure each pair

>of tweeters is worth at least $60 on eBay, and a pair of mids,

>$70, that's $260. The rest of the system doesn't appear to

>have much value by itself (I only have 3 grilles, one of which

>is cracked). The cabinets are in fair shape, but usable.

>

If you could restore the Allison: Twos, you could probably get much, much more for them on eBay than by parting them out -- the path of least resistance, of course. The Two was a very desirable speaker, and coupled with the Allison "ESW" electronic subwoofer, the speaker was very powerful even down into the extreme-deep bass -- with very low distortion. There are Allison lovers out there that would pay good money for a pair of properly restored A:2s. Also, there weren't as many A:2s sold as the more-famous Allison: Ones, the latter generally considered to be one of the best speakers of all times. The sticky stuff you mention is butyl-rubber, which is readily available, and can be applied back over a re-foamed surround and cone to get the speaker back to its original performance (proper cone-edge damping) and appearance.

>I hate to break up a pair of classics like this, but I have to

>consider the impracticality of shipping something so large and

>heavy (although I supposed I could just drop them off at the

>UPS store and let them deal with it). I have too many speakers

>as it is, and these are not as good as my current favorites

>(Infinity Kappa 8a), so they're definitely going to be sold,

>one way or another. So what I'm wondering is if anyone out

>there knows what a pair of these would be worth, either with

>or without repairing the foam. Surprisingly, there's nothing

>even remotely similar on eBay, either current or completed.

You are probably wise to try to sell them, especially since they will likely bring pretty good money with some effort on your part. Incidentally, I would never in a million years bet on your statement above that they are not as good as your Infinity Kappa 8as. You would probably be very surprised, as the Allison: Twos were extremely accurate reproducers, with a three-dimensional sound. In any event, good luck on selling them!

--Tom Tyson

Archived