Larger Advent woofers CHEAP!!!

dynaco_dan

Hi there;

A pair of newly re-foamed masonite Larger Advent woofers just went for $40.00 on ebay.

This was the highest offer.

At that price, we should just keep our eyes out for re-furbished woofers instead of pulling ours and taking them to a local shop or mailing them to a distant repair service.

And of course, our replacing them.

This may be the exception and not the rule price wise.

Usually I see the woofers with no surrounds, mind you the sellers say they still sound real nice, and selling for this range of price.

Someone paid for the foams and did all the work for nothing, it appears.

Hi Vern,

That was pretty amazing that they went for that low a price.

However, there may be more people who actually want to replace the surrounds themselves and not take a chance that the ones supplied with the purchased drivers are correct.

I recently got a pair off eBay for 20 bucks that, of course, needed new surrounds. I got the kit from looneytune2001 and they are now good as new.

I am using them as temporary replacements for some that were in one pair I got that had the too stiff surrounds. I will eventually refoam the originals with correct surrounds and reinstall them.

This is a good time, I think, to reiterate that, in my opinion, it is extremely important to make sure that the surrounds you choose are, in fact, made of the correct, thin walled material. If you want your Advents to perform as new, this is a must. The thicker, less flexible surrounds DO affect the resulting frequency response at the low end.

There will be more of that annoying mid-bass hump in the response with the stiffer surrounds. This disappears with the correct ones.

I plan to eliminate all of my surrounds that I deem incorrect (2-3 pairs left [i haven't really decided on the one pair]) and replace them with the correct ones from looneytune2001.

By the way, it seems that Rssound does not have their surrounds available now. When you go to the site, you can't go to the page with the surrounds on it.

I have determined that the ones from looneytune2001 are the same as the rssound surrounds though.

One more thing. Some time ago, I stated that Advent sometimes marked the positive terminal on the woofer with red marker and sometimes the negative terminal with black. This was a dorky, idiotic thing for me to say. In fact, the positive terminal is always marked, sometimes with a red marker and sometimes with a black marker. Whew, now I feel better. I hope that previous statement is buried deep enough so no one will ever see it and follow what I said :^)

Doug

George and Alison have the correct surrounds for both the original and New Large Advents for about $29 delivered. They also are one of the best at the refoaming job for those who don't DIY.

looneytune2001 shows the surround for the original Large Advent improperly installed, I would not purchase from them.

Hi Jay and Doug;

I have written before about the lack of manufactures identification on the foam surrounds.

We are at the mercy of everyone who sells surrounds that they keep selling the same sourced product.

My local source let's me have them at $3.00 each but the, AR 12", actually 11", is a few dollars more.

Until we can see the name molded on the surrounds, we will be going from source to source trying to obtain the closest to correct repeatable versions.

No one here has yet come up with the brand name and model number for the, "Magic White Glue", used.

>George and Alison have the correct surrounds for both the

>original and New Large Advents for about $29 delivered. They

>also are one of the best at the refoaming job for those who

>don't DIY.

>

>looneytune2001 shows the surround for the original Large

>Advent improperly installed, I would not purchase from them.

>

>

Where does looneytune2001 show them improperly installed? When I go to one of his auctions, he has pictures of both the masonite and all-metal woofers and they are both correct.

Besides, I wouldn't really care if those pictures were incorrect. I'm only worried about the surrounds themselves.

Doug

Hi Jay;

That photo shows the correct way to mount the surround.

I have seen on rare occasion, the surround glued to the front of the masonite as well, already reduced movement of the cone.

As shown in the photo, maximum front to back movement is possible, without touching the grille cloth.

By turning the surround around so that the radius is outword, causes the surround and possibly the cones edge to touch the grille cloth.

This is assuming that the surround is fastened to the rear of the masonite.

The correct way to mount the surround on a masonite (these are the originals) IS to have the roll "bulged in" (concave) and not "bulged out" (convex). That is as it's shown in the original Advent literature. This is how I see looneytune2001's (Rick's) picture.

Sometimes the photos of speakers create optical illusions where the roll can look like it's the opposite of how it really is.

Also, it is good if there is another supplier of the correct surrounds (George and Alison). The more the merrier.

I guess my main thrust was to emphasize the need for the correct surround and NOT from whom to get them.

Doug

Archived