Caps????

Guest Kevin John Wheeler

Guest Kevin John Wheeler

I have three sets of Large Advents, all with orange tweeters. Two have the fiber ring woofers. One set has two 13uf caps and the other set has two 16uf caps. The third set is a first generation with the metal basket woofer and it had a single 8uf cap. Why do they all have differant cap set ups? What does it do to the overall sound and is there a common cap setup I could use for all three for the best results??I already recaped the metal basket woofer set. If you could Email me at home I might find it easier. I have never used your pages before srnity@kingcon.com

• 1 month later...

Hmm, don't know how I missed this one.

Anyway, it sounds like there has been some mix and matching going on with your speakers through the years.

The original Advents with masonite woofers should either have 2 16 uF capacitors or 1 16uF and 1 8uF capacitor. They would never have originally had any 13uF caps.

The 13uF cap. was used in the New Advent and is the only one in there.

For a schematic of the original Advent (latest version), go to the library section of this site and look for the schematic of the utility version (the utility and walnut versions are electrically the same). Make all of your original Advents like this and you will be happy.

Doug

Archived