Smaller Advent Crossover Question

Guest Robert M

Guest Robert M

I have a set of Smaller Advents with 8uf, 12uf and 1 ohm crossover components, as well as an inductor. I have two orphan SA, one has 4uf, 8uf, and 3 ohm resistor, an inductor and the other is the same, except that the 4uf is replaced by a 5uf. I know for a fact that all components are stock.

What I would like to do is re-cap the two orphans to match the 8/12/1 configuration, as I did some A-Bing and I believe that configuration sounds best. No problem, I can get the NP electrolytics on order, but what is the value of the inductor, as I think I may need to replace the two inductors in the orphans. Or do I?

Inductors rarely go bad. They are just a coil of varnish coated copper wire. Replacing what you have may also be difficult because you need to match both the mH AND ohm values which may not be possible unless you wind your own.

Remember, it's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

Guest Robert M

I had seen that post, thanks. I was guessing the .31mH value was what was there and that it was a typo. I am going to eventually answer my own question, as I have an LC meter coming (on backorder at PE), but do you think that the inductor value holds for the different crossover designs?

I have a 2" full ranger on order to drop into the tweeter slot, I am having problems taking the harshness of the tweeter lately, I'll do a post for discussion once I get it in, may need some help tweaking...

Yes, your best bet is to measure it yourself. I've not looked inside a Small Advent in over 25 years, and so I don't know the differences. I also had the thought of using a full range, but I think the original drivers or something similar is best.

This will reduce harshness and boxiness: Russ reports good results with Small Advents. http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/dcbo...sg_id=377&page=

Archived