I need new woofers on my loudspeakers

Guest gregryjo

Guest gregryjo

There was a time in my life when I didn't understand refoaming and pitched my beloved Advent woofers in the garbage and replaced them with some Radio Shack ones. Gasp! ;) At any rate I need some "real" replacements. Any ideas?

Thanks so much.

Gregry

Guest gregryjo

My speakers date back to 1977. Should I look for originals from the same era or are the woofers all the same no matter what year Advent they come from?

Thanks for the help.

Gregry

Hi Gregry,

If you could describe what the tweeters look like in your Advents, we could better tell you what woofers to look for.

What the heck, I'll write a little bit anyway :^)

If the tweeters are mounted on masonite pieces that stick out from the metal backing plate about 1/2", you need the masonite edged woofers as you have the original "The Advent Loudspeaker"

If the tweeters are mounted flush to the cabinet front on black (or nearly so) metal plates, you need the all-metal woofers as these were used in the "New Advent Loudspeaker".

The other obvious clue is that the woofer in the original is mounted very close to the bottom of the speaker and the woofer in the New advent is mounted very close to the center of the speaker.

If you find you need the masonite woofers, they are all the same so any of them on eBay will work.

If you need the all-metal woofers, you need to look for the ones with square magnets on them. Later Advents have similar looking woofers but the magnets are round.

I am, of course, assuming that you have the full sized Advents that are about 26" X 14" X 11". If you have smaller ones, that's a whole other kettle of fish :^)

And I have also had good luck getting these from eBay. Just look for a seller that has a good rep.

Doug

Guest gregryjo

Hey Doug.

I appreciate the help. Indeed I have the New Advent Loudspeakers. They have the fried egg tweeter with the mesh over it.

Therefore I will look for the all metal 10' woofer with the square magnet. I will try ebay but I also see Lane Audio carries them for 85 a pop. Whew do I regret throwing the originals out. If I had only known!

Thanks again.

Gregry

Archived