Large Advent Sensitivity

Guest nolanpk

Guest nolanpk

Hello Group,

Has anyone measured the sensitivity of the Large Advent ( db SPL with 1 watt input at one meter )? The question came up during a discussion about a suitable power amp for Double Advents. Thanks for your responses. I expect that there will be some stimulating information.

Pat

Guest gkentsmith

Hi,

The closest I was able to come is based on a 1970 review by "Audio" magazine. They used volts as opposed to watts for their measurements. At 2 volts input (slightly more than 1 watt, but less than 2) at "3 feet" they came up with a 90db SPL on axis. Later in the article, they declare 25 watts of amplification to be sufficient but also stated that 50 - 75 watts is not excessive.

I have done my own measurements using a run-of-the-mill SPL meter, with pink noise through a Yamaha M 60 amplifier and have come up with a reading of 89db at 1 meter in an average sized room with no special baffling or other special dampening.

The Yamaha M 60 operates as a class A amp (.001% thd) up to 25 watts, and as a class AB above that (.03% thd). It has excellent meters, so I am certain my level was proper. I have run many pair of Large Advent at or above 90 watts RMS (against recommendation) with peaks exceeding 300 watts and suffered no ill effects. I cannot, however, recommend the same levels for the Smaller Advent (sadly); good way to damage both drivers at the same time.

I hope this is helpful information.

Kent

>Has anyone measured the sensitivity of the Large Advent ( db

>SPL with 1 watt input at one meter )? The question came up

>during a discussion about a suitable power amp for Double

>Advents. Thanks for your responses. I expect that there will

>be some stimulating information.

For over a year I powered my stacked Large Advents, New Large Advent & Advent/1, with a 30wpc Marantz 2230 receiver. They rocked fine and dandy and had plenty of headroom for pretty much anything I listened to. I currently power three pairs with a Marantz 2240ß reciever. No problems there either.

Great info you guys!

I have triple stacks and run each pair with Heathkit -29 series amps which Heath rated at 35 WPC but are actually 50.

They can get loud enough to not be able to talk over before running out of headroom. And when I say not be able to talk over, I mean even trying to talk loudly over them.

Before I got the third amp, two pair were run off one amp with no problems but the bass is better controlled with an 8 ohm load on a SS amp (higher damping factor).

Doug

I originally had them so the bottom pair were right side up (tweeters up, the middle pair with the tweeters down, and the top pair with the tweeters up. Yes, they are stacked vertically and are taller than me (I'm 6'3".

About 5 months ago, I turned the middle pair so all of them are tweeters up and I like the sound fine. Couldn't really hear too much difference between the first arrangement and this one.

Each pair is just wired to it's own amplifier (3). A combination of inputs is used as one of the amps is the receiver version and this, of course, must be used and fed to the other two amps for radio. I do use some Y connectors to get the inputs to all the amps. If anybody wants a more detailed desciption, I could go into it but it may be difficult to follow in writing.

This setup results in a very pleasing "sound floating in the air" effect and you can't really locate the sound to the speakers themselves.

Oh yeah, I have a Carver C-9 hologram generator in there too that I can switch in and out.

Doug

Guest gkentsmith

Doug,

I've seen a lot about people placing their stacks (double) tweeter-to-tweeter. My first experience and current configuration is woofer-to-woofer. For me, this gives a stronger low bass response and a more diffuse mid & high sound. Would you or anyone care to comment on the two different methods of stacking and their opinions on same?

Kent

Curse you Kent (others please refer to the "All advent questions answered" thread to see why I am justified in using this phraseology :^)

Now you made me want to try the woofer to woofer arrangement "just to see."

You do realize that I have to unstack two on each side to flip the bottom pair don't you?

Couldn't just leave me alone in my own little sonic world could you.

Doug

Guest gkentsmith

Doug,

Well, they say payback is a B***h and I guess they're right (lol). Now I'm going to confound you further. I currently have 2 pair of New Advents. Has anyone tried stacking them, and if so, how and what result?

Kent

Archived