Legacy upgrades?

Guest avguytx

Guest avguytx

Good afternoon all. Well, I'm a newer member here but not too much an amateur in this business. I've been in home and car audio/video for almost 30 years now. I've been involved in sales, installation, and now, manufacturers rep for various home and car lines. Hobbies are woodworking and collecting electronics and speakers from the 70's. I have built maybe 10 different pairs of speakers in the last 25 years or so. Ok. That's a readers digest version!

I've noticed on here that not a lot of positive is really said about the Advent Legacy speakers but more praise from the older ones. What are the bad sides to these speakers? I know I picked up a pair at a locat pawn shop for next to nothing that the foam surrounds are going to need replaced. I planned on taking them to a friend of mine in Tulsa (Speakerworks) and have them done. The cabinets were in great shape...just need a good oiling, the grill cloth looks perfect...no tears, etc. I thought for the fact that I have tons of various crossovers and wire, I could do a little tinkering with these and have a pretty decent sounding speaker for not a lot of money. I figure off of a Pioneer SX-750 receiver they should be a good office system.

Is there anyone in here that actually likes these and has good things to say about them? Maybe even done something different to them. Just curious...

Ciao....Kip

Hi Kip,

It may be more that nobody here has the Legacies as most of us are nuts for the earlier Advents and they fit more in with the "classic" theme of this site.

I did a search on Audio Karma to see what users there had to say about the Legacies and the results were a bit mixed but there were positive things said.

I would think that they definitely would be worth refoaming if the price is right.

They sure would not be considered "junk".

Doug

EDIT:

I guess the price would be right if they were "next to nothing" :^)(I reread your post). Also, welcome to the forum.

Archived