Advents being turned up loud

Guest Kasra

Guest Kasra

I seem to get quite an undesireable sound from my advents playing them anywhere above 50% on my pioneer sx-850.

The woofer starts to "fwump," and I can hear the tweeters start to distort, as if they were stressing. Are the speakers just not intended to be blasted? They are most likely playing very loud as is, it's just the area I play them in is a large basement with no closed doors, and the speakers are only on a 2 plane area, with no wall within 10 feet of the speakers to enclose them on their sides.

Is my room a candidate for the double advent system?

>I seem to get quite an undesireable sound from my advents

>playing them anywhere above 50% on my pioneer sx-850.

>

>The woofer starts to "fwump," and I can hear the

>tweeters start to distort, as if they were stressing. Are the

>speakers just not intended to be blasted? They are most likely

>playing very loud as is, it's just the area I play them in is

>a large basement with no closed doors, and the speakers are

>only on a 2 plane area, with no wall within 10 feet of the

>speakers to enclose them on their sides.

>

>Is my room a candidate for the double advent system?

Hi there;

Before using them again, check the woofers for foam rot.

If you have foam rot, the woofers are no longer acoustic suspension supported and you may damage them by using them further.

Check the Advent library regarding fusing them as well.

All hifi speakers are designed for high fidelity and speech, not blasting, especially with rock type music.

The Larger Advents can be used with Phase Linear 700's, just not at super loud levels.

A minimum amplifier might be 25 watts RMS per channel, up to 100 - 250 watts per channel RMS 20 - 20,000hz.

Using a classical cd, as a brief example, the average power to the speakers is less that 1/10 amp with perhaps over 100 watts on micro-second peaks.

This you can assume is with the stereo at a sound level where you can talk to a person sitting at the other end of the couch.

Seriously consider fusing, with the cost being so high of the slow blow fuses, consider fast blow fuses as well.

See the, "OTHER," forum regarding a write-up, fast blow fuses, I started in Nov/05, but was continued on for continuity.

I hope that it will give you a better appreciation of the effort that a few manufacturers gave to preserve their products and our speakers.

Our original drivers are available, usually on a needing re-foamed basis, but still available in quantity, on ebay, etc.

New, "as in, somewhat or similarly like the original," drivers are available as a replacement, but for the stereophile hobbiest, we usually prefer the original drivers.

Please let us know what you find.

Good luck.

Guest Kasra

well, that receiver is going home. incoming HOPEFULLY is a marantz 2252B.

52 watts per channel, a better level of power.

it was my left woofer that was "fwumping"

it basically sounded like the woofer was hitting something at its limit of motion. that leads me to think there was just too much power going through, and the woofer was not supposed to move that much.

the woofers foam have no rot at all. they are flush mounted on metal, no masonite surround rings.

If the amp clips, it sounds as if the woofers are bottoming even though they aren't. I have had this happen and was able to confirm that the cones really weren't reaching their limits. Further confirmation was by using a more powerful amp and playing the speakers louder without noise.

Doug

Archived