Advent Large Tweeter

Guest Kasra

Guest Kasra

I have the orange tweeters on my larges, and they are not foward mounted.

Pic from ebay before I bought them (same exact ones): http://members.aol.com/kdresch/utility.jpg

The tweeter on one of the speakers seems to lose signal somehow. At first, I thought the LOW LOW end Sony I was driving them with blew one out, (now using a slightly overpowered Sx-850...can someone comment on what I should do about that? I'm not good with fusing. It is 65wpc.) but then after just pressing on the tweeter area I found that it came back to life at a certain pressure level and angle.

I finally landed on the fact that taping one of the voice coil wires down physically to the outer area of the tweeter (still the orange area) kept it going, without popping or loss of signal.

What's going on here, and what can I do past the bandaid solution of tape? One day, the tape won't work.

If you'd like, I can even make a video of me pressing the voice coil in to the speaker and showing its reaction.

Guest westend

It sounds like one of the leads to the cone is separating. I do not own that tweeter so am not familiar with how it is attached. I have the older fried-egg tweeters that are mounted off the plate. They have a piece of tape holding the leads so your repair is at least, not "un-Adventish". A close examination of the tweeter should show the loose lead. Good luck.

Make sure everything is soldered in your crossover-there was even a service bulletin about that. Your tweeters are the later variety and I believe are ferrous-fluid filled....65RMS per channel shouldn't be blowing things out. Fusing is easy and you can get cheap fuse holders at Radio Shack.....make sure your signal is clean and you're not feeding your speakers a steady diet of DC from a clipping amp.

Archived