Large Advent Crossover Modes

Guest markjohnson22

Guest markjohnson22

Planning to replace crossovers in 4 Large Advents (73 & 74 vintage) with all new components including mounting board, binding posts etc. I replaced the caps about 2 years ago. Based on what I saw then (cheap switch, margional air core, etc.) and my desire to use them in normal mode only I would like to delete the selector switch and related increase and decrease components. The crossover wiring diagrams I obtained from various posts are somwhat confusing. Does anyone have the following:

Diagram of a "normal" mode only application (what componets and where they are located in the circuit).

Origional Values of the required parts (caps, restistor, inductors).

Thanks in advance for your comments.

>Planning to replace crossovers in 4 Large Advents (73 &

>74 vintage) with all new components including mounting board,

>binding posts etc. I replaced the caps about 2 years ago.

>Based on what I saw then (cheap switch, margional air core,

>etc.) and my desire to use them in normal mode only I would

>like to delete the selector switch and related increase and

>decrease components. The crossover wiring diagrams I obtained

>from various posts are somwhat confusing. Does anyone have the

>following:

>

>Diagram of a "normal" mode only application (what

>componets and where they are located in the circuit).

>Origional Values of the required parts (caps, restistor,

>inductors).

Yes, I have values I measured on a job I did where I built a totally new crossover for a customer who wanted to retain all the same compnents but replace them with new ones.

Attached is a picture of the upgrade. If you want to eliminate the switch, follow the schematic I've drawn in the second attchment. To make life easier, I've included the Parts Express P/N's to order.

Good luck.

To save money, you really don't have to replace the 3 inductors. They are simply coiled copper wire on a spool. Saving them allows retention of the original designer's intent regarding the inductance values and resistance of those non-deteriorating components.

Remember, it's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

Guest markjohnson22

Thanks Carl, can you confirm if the HF inductor (not shunt inductor) is required in "normal" mode. It was my understanding it functioned in "decrease" mode only.

Thanks again.

Can't say with 100% certainty as I don't have one available at this time to confirm with. However, I'm almost certain the normal mode incorporates a basic second order xover design, in which case, the HF inductor is not needed. Just the cap, resistor and parallel inductor.

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

This is correct. In the normal mode, the series inductor is shorted across by the switch. The series capacitor (16uf), series resistor (either 4 or 3 ohm, depending on vintage), and parallel inductor remain in circuit.

Doug

Archived