About to inherit Maestros--refoam or purchase new woofers?

Guest lerman

Guest lerman

Speakers are overall in pretty good shape. Woofers need new surrounds; think mid and tweeter are fine. Was planning to refoam myself with kit (any better than others?). Is there anything else I should do while I'm at it? Is it worth it to spring for new woofers or are the originals (refoamed) top drawer?

And also, what's the deal with that little fuse on the back? Presumably it would blow before the speaker did--is there anything I should be aware of with that?

And is it worth it to swap out the spring-loaded terminals for beefier binding posts, or just leave be?

Given my budget these will be my speakers for a while and I'd like to maximize my pleasure.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

If you can find new woofers EXACTLY like the originals, this would be fine.

But, it would be much less expensive and, perhaps, more satisfying to refoam the originals yourself.

I would leave everything else alone if nothing's broken. The spring terminals will work just fine.

Doug

>Speakers are overall in pretty good shape. Woofers need new

>surrounds; think mid and tweeter are fine. Was planning to

>refoam myself with kit (any better than others?). Is there

>anything else I should do while I'm at it? Is it worth it to

>spring for new woofers or are the originals (refoamed) top

>drawer?

>

>And also, what's the deal with that little fuse on the back?

>Presumably it would blow before the speaker did--is there

>anything I should be aware of with that?

>

>And is it worth it to swap out the spring-loaded terminals for

>beefier binding posts, or just leave be?

>

>Given my budget these will be my speakers for a while and I'd

>like to maximize my pleasure.

>

>Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

>

>Thanks,

>Josh

Hi Josh;

If you like the original sound of the woofers, then most definitely refoam them.

The new woofers do not sound the same.

Guest lerman

Thank you--I will refoam. Not looking for excuses to spend $$--just for best sound.

Followup question--is it necessary to replace dust caps when I refoam? Refoaming kits come with and without and one site implies it's necessary to shim voice coil in order to avoid damaging it. Is this true?

The only reason to replace the dustcap is if you remove it for shimming while refoaming. I personally don't use shims as long as the spider is in good condition and is keeping the VC in place at that end.

All you have to do is keep checking for rubbing while the glue sets. Also, don't try to force the outer edge of the cone in any particular direction as this will "cock" the VC and make rubbing more likely.

Just let the cone kind of "find" where it wants to be and glue it there. Since the VC is really already centered by the spider, it will be fine.

Of course, if the spider is in bad shape, it changes things but then you are talking about more than just a refoam.

Doug

Archived