Large Advent Frequency Switch (on back)

Guest Dino1956

Guest Dino1956

Just a question and was wondering what most people with the Large Advents set their Frequency Switch at. I had mine Normal but have since changed it To "Decrease" (Middle Postion). Just wanted some opinions ! Maybe it's the height I've been listening to them, but I was hearing an over abundance of highs, being the Tweeter is closer to my ear. I'm powering them with a Sony STR D711 which is one of those suurround sound Receivers. Thinking of getting out my old Kenwood 3800 Integrated Amp. Thanks.

Dino,

I have triple stack advents right now and I have the two upper pair at Extended and the lower pair at normal.

This is a subjective thing, however, and the setting should be whatever sounds the best to you. Different rooms require different high frequency outputs from the speakers.

Interestingly, Henry Kloss originally meant these settings to be used to compensate for various qualities of recordings at the time because the higher frequencies were not consistant on different records. As an additional benefit, it was stated that the switch could also be used to adjust the high frequencies based on room absorption of same.

Doug

Guest Dino1956

3 Advent Stack ! Woh ! What are you powering those with ? Maybe you could explain what the 3 position settings actually do. What does the "Extended" do ?

>3 Advent Stack ! Woh ! What are you powering those with ?

>Maybe you could explain what the 3 position settings actually

>do. What does the "Extended" do ?

Hi there;

Extended does nothing really.

In this position there is no resistors in series to reduce the output below the tweeters usual output.

The two top pairs are driven in parallel with a Heathkit AR-29 receiver rated at 35 WPC but are really 50 WPC. The bottom pair is driven with the amplifier separate AA-29 with identical amps as in the AR-29. I am on the lookout for another AA-29 so each pair will have their own amp. although the 4 ohm load isn't a problem. The outputs and heat sinks barely get warm.

Concerning the 3 position switch:

I will only address the components involved with the switch itself as the 16 uF capacitor and .43 mH inductor are always in circuit. These are what determine the 1000Hz crosover frequency.

Decrease position:

There is a small value inductor (I don't know the exact value) and a 4 ohm (very early units) or 3 ohm (later units) resistor in series with the tweeter. Both of these components have the effect of attenuating the higher frequencies getting to the tweeter, thus a roll-off of these frequencies (less highs).

Normal position:

In this position, the inductor is shorted out through the switch so there is less attenuation of the higher frequencies. Current flows through the switch contacts instead of the inductor. The resistor is still in circuit.

Extended position:

Here, both the inductor and resistor are bypassed. The inductor shorted out just as with the normal position and the resistor with a 16uF (early units) or 8uF(1975 on) capacitor. Therefore, the tweeter now sees full current (above 1000Hz.) and the higher frequency output is extended just like the switch says. However, the capacitor does have some effect on which frequencies get through. With the earlier 16uF cap. there would be more midrange (higher value cap lets lower frequencies through)and slightly less with the 8 uF cap. Some people prefer the earlier response and some the later.

I believe there were changes in the inductor values and/or construction during production also but I don't know exactly what they were. I think they beefed up the .43 mH inductor along the way and maybe changed the value of the series inductor slightly. These would not affect the sound that much.

Doug

Guest Dino1956

Thanks for the descriptive technical information. I have to admit, the Technical stuff I don't know too much about. :) I just keep it on Normal, which sounds best to my ears. At first I was getting too much high end from the Tweeters but ever since I hooked up my old Kenwood Amp and my old ADC Equalizer, I can adjust accordingly. I forgot how truly great these Speakers sound. They may be the best 2 way Speaker ever made. Listening to the latest from David Gilmour and it sounds excellent. Thanks.

>

>just keep it on Normal, which sounds best to my ears. At first

>I was getting too much high end from the Tweeters but ever

>since I hooked up my old Kenwood Amp and my old ADC Equalizer,

>I can adjust accordingly. I forgot how truly great these

>Speakers sound. They may be the best 2 way Speaker ever made.

What sounds best to you is what matters. Now that you've got the bug you need another pair to invert and stack on top of those. The sound will raise the hair on the back of your neck!

Archived