Large Advent Woofer Refoaming

Guest Dino1956

Guest Dino1956

I have a pair of the large Advents and was thinking about refoming the Woofers. Questions : Do you also need to replace the Dust Caps as well ? I see these are included in the Kit. But on Parts Express, the Tutorial Video shows nothing about the Dust Caps. If the Dust Caps need to be replaced, how would I accomplish that ? Thanks for any help. This is a new venture for me and I would like to get it right the first time. BTW, my Large Advents have the Metal Ring around the Woofers. Are refoaming these any different from the typical process ? Thanks in advance. Sincerely, Dino

Dino,

The only reason to replace the dust caps would be if you remove them to shim the voice coil while refoaming.

I haven't ever shimmed when I replace the foam. I just keep gently pushing on the cone as the glue sets up to be sure there isn't any rubbing.

It sounds like you have the later woofers without the masonite ring. In that case, the surround gets glued to the top of the metal basket and to the underside of the edge of the cone. That is the way they were originally made. It probably wouldn't hurt anything to glue the surround to the top of the cone too. It all depends on whether you wish to be authentic or not.

If you do decide to replace the dust caps, most people just cut out the old one close to the cone and glue a slightly larger one over the old glue line. I would use a mesh type cap as the size isn't critical as far as affecting the sound of the driver. Paper caps, if too large, may affect the higher end of the frequency response.

Doug

Guest Dino1956

Doug,

Thanks so much for your descriptive reply. All I care about is if they sound like they use to. Asthetics and the rest don't matter at all to me. Is there a benefit to replacing the Dust Caps if they are in tact ? I mean sound wise. Thanks again.

Dino

Nope, no benefit at all if they are the original caps. In fact, I believe it is better to leave the caps alone if possible.

Like i said, you would only have to remove them for shimming the VC or additionally, if there was damage to the VC or form which would require removing the whole motor for repair.

Good luck and keep us posted.

And Evan, if you read this, also keep us posted on your progress.

Doug

Guest Dino1956

OK. Thanks. One other question. You say to glue the foam directly onto the Metal rings on the outer perimeter. Will the adhesive and foam stick to the metal ? Thanks again.

The adhesive should stick fine to the metal basket.

Just be sure to use enough. I had to reglue one of mine because the previous refoamer didn't use enough glue and there were gaps where the surround wasn't fastened.

Doug

Guest Dino1956

OK Thanks. I'm not going to be able to refoam for a couple of weeks from now but I'll post back here with any other questions and my results. Thanks again for all of your help. I do appreciate it !

Guest Dino1956

OH !! I almost forgot. Which Kit would I need to purchase for my Large Advent Woofers from Speaker Works. I think I have the 10" Speaker with the Metal Frames. Does that sound correct ? I do not want to order the wrong Kit. Thanks again.

Yup, correct. The Advent woofers are actually 10" in a 12" frame. This was done to get the depth necessary for long excursion of the woofer cone.

So, the surround suppliers call them 10" and yours have the metal frames.

I think that the only real difference between the surrounds for the masonite frame woofers and the all-metal ones is that there is a larger lip on the outside of the surround for the masonites. So, in a pince, these would work for the metal frame woofers too.

Doug

Guest Dino1956

OK. I just did the first part. I shaved the excess old foam and I tried getting all the old glue and foam from the Metal. There is still a bunch of gunk on there. I've used everything to try to get to a clean flat surface. This junk is not coming off. I then cleaned it with Isotophyl Alcohol and a Cloth. There is no way the rest of this gunk is coming off unless I use acid. :) Will the Glue stick to the not so flat or perfect surface ? Like I said before, I don't have the Refoaming kit but I'm trying to prepare the Speakers first. I'm attaching what they look like so far. Let me know if I'm on the right track. Thanks.

1046.txt

Sorry, I was gone all day.

Looks pretty good so far. You may be able to get the rest of the residue off with a more aggressive solvent like Lacquer Thinner or Acetone.

Or, since it looks like you've used a screwdriver already :^)you can butt the screwdriver blade against the junk and tap it with a small hammer or the like and chisel it off.

The advents should have the surrounds with the straight edge (not angled) since there is a flat edge around the outside of the cone.

DOug

Guest Dino1956

I guess you noticed the scratches from my screwdriver. :) I'll try getting more of the gunk off but if I can't get it ALL off, will that stop the Glue from sticking ? You've been great. Thanks. I couldn't have gotten this far without you.

Guest Dino1956

So I'm to order 10" Flat Surrounds from Speaker Works Northwest. Is this correct ? You recommended them I think. They are much cheaper than "Parts Express". Parts Express comes with Dust Caps that I don't need and there shipping cost is almost 9 bucks. So I'm going to order from Speaker Works. Just let me know if that's correct. Once again 10" Flat Surrounds. Right ? Sorry to be so repetitive. Again, many thanks !

Guest Dino1956

not to sound crazy but I looked on the site and they have this chart and none of my dimensions match the Chart for 10". I'm better matched for 12".

My ID (Inner Dimension) = 9",

OD (Outer Dimension) = 9 1/2 "

and my Speaker Cone Outer Dimension = 7 1/2".

Maybe I'm thinking too much about this all but I attached the Chart from Speaker Works, so you can see what I mean and give me some advice maybe.

1057.txt

1058.doc

Guest Dino1956

OK I'm just going to order the 10" Flat Surrounds. Just one last Question for a while. I know I've asked you lots and I appreciate your patience.

On most Speakers with a Flat Surface that don't have the Metal which I have, you just glue the whole big lip of the outter foam on a flat surface. On mine, I would just glue the edge of surround to the little strip of metal that the speakers were originally glued to. Or am I to glue the entire foam to about an inch or a half inch on the metal rims ? You see in all the Diagrams I've seen, there is no Metal around the Speakers. So I'm curious as to how I need to proceed. Thanks again. I promise you'll be rid of me soon unless one day I can help someone in a similar situation.

No problems with the questions,Dino.

On the all-metal woofers, you will notice that the surface where the surround is attached is fairly flat for about 3/8 - 1/2" and then it angles up as it goes outward. You can trim the new surround so it fits in the flat area. On the ones I have where they were previously refoamed, this was not done and it forced some minor wrinkles in the flange but it doesn't affect the mounting much. As I previously mentioned, I did have to reglue one of them but that was because there was not enough glue used, not really because the flange was a little to big around.

If I were to redo these myself, I would probably trim them so they fit just in the flatter area.

You'll have to see if there is any trimming necessary at the cone diameter too. You probably want to make sure, there, that the surround fits just into the flat area of the cone.

Doug

Oops, I meant to write that the flatter area around the outside is 1/8 - 1/4" not 3/8 - 1/2"

I believe the original surrounds did have about a 1/8" flange around the outside.

Doug

Guest Dino1956

OK so basically I put the Foams on exactly like the old foams were mounted, on the small 1/8 inch surface. Will I have to trim or cut the new foam to make it fit ? Thanks again.

Guest Dino1956

Ooops. Did not realize you replied 2X and already have answered my questions. I will trim the new foam so it fits only on the flat metal and not where the metal angles.

Guest Dino1956

Doug,

I just wanted to personally thank you for your help & patience. I refoamed my Large Advents yesterday and am listening to Lee Michaels and am being transpoted back to 1973. They sound excellent ! I put away the much newer Jensen's I'd been listening to. Thanks again.

Dino

Hey Dino, glad to hear you got your Advents going again! If I can help even one person get these great speakers sounding good again, it's worth having the knowledge.

Now, of course, you are going to have to consider getting another pair for Stacked Advents :7

Doug

Guest Dino1956

Yes, they sound great. I never heard back from you or anyone on some of my other Questions, so I improvised and glued to foam onto the Metal. It worked out great. As far as stacking Advents, I use to have 2 pairs. I bought them from a Record Shop on 31st St. NYC in 1980. The shop closed down and those were their speakers. When I moved to Florida from NY, I had to minimize on my belongings, so I gave the other pair to my neice. I'm sure she has since put them on ebay by now. :) One had a blown Tweeter. Anyway, after Refoaming my Advents, I've since also cleaned up my Kenwood KA3500 Integrated Amp and ADC Equalizer and it sounds incredible. These 3 items compliment each other very nicely. That is what I had my 2 Pairs of Advents set up with in NY. I have 2 Sony Surround Receivers Model STR911, but all those 5.1 Surround Sound Receivers cannot hold a candle to the old Audio Amps. All that digital Bass & Treble is not for me. I prefer real knobs. Old Audio Equipment Rules !

Archived