What kind of advents do I have?

Guest EvanG

Evan,

If the ones with the orange tweeters are about 25-26" tall, they are the New Advents in utility cabinets. These were first released in 1977-78.

I don't know what the other ones are with the cone tweeters.

Is there no model numbers or names indicated on the backs?

Doug

Also, I just bought a pair of the smaller advents for 5 dollars at a garage sale. I think it needs refoaming, the outside part of the cone is crumbled. How do I refoam it, and how much does it cost? Thanks

1043.txt

post-101766-1140885913.jpg

post-5-1140885913.jpg

OK, I went to the auction you won and yes, the larger ones are definitely the New Advents and the smaller ones are Advent/3s.

You got a good deal.

As far as refoaming the Smaller Advents, a kit is around $20.00 if you do it yourself. I think it usually costs about $60.00 a pair to have somebody else do it.

Be sure you get surrounds specifically for the Smaller Advent since they are kind of an odd size. Do a google search for refoaming Advents and you should find information concerning this.

Audio Karma is a good forum to glean info from too.

Doug

You're very welcome. Ah, I remember when I was 14 (mid-sixties) messing around with audio. I built some speakers and "improved" my rather inexpensive gear at the time.

Hopefully, you will have a lifetime obsession with it as a lot of us oldtimers have had.:^)

Doug

Small advents are a killer pair of speakers i think they sound better than my large advents. Im only 16 i redid a pair of smaller advents and larger advents with the foam. It isnt that hard if you need surrounds go to www.partsexpress.com very good fairly cheep. If i wouldnt have done my smaller advents myself it would have costed me 90 dollars for both instead it only costed me 35 and sounds just as good. Do your small advents have orange tweeters? what are reciever are you going to hook them up to?. I got mine hooked up to a pioneer sx 650 and my other pair of speakers are a pair of utah as 2a very nice also. Hey if you have aim or instant messanger maybe we can chat i could probably teach you some things about the stuff i been around it for 10 years. I know some stuff not alot but some i have fun though thats what its all about and the good sound. I like vintage alot better than new new stuff is not good sounds bad in my opinion. Not like the good old vintage pioneer marantz kenwood stuff of the late 60s to late 70s. Well good luck with the new speakers if you got questions shoot away hopefully i can give you a good answer.

I have a friend who is good with audio stuff who says I should put both the smaller and the larger advents as my front speakers, I guess like the "double advents", and use the advent/3's as my back speakers (once I get them and the smaller advents refoamed). Do you think this is a good idea? Also, I got a pair of American Acoustics speakers that are slighty smaller than the smaller advents. Are they worth refoaming? Thanks

Is this for a surround sound system? If so i never had experiance with it i am an all vintage kind of guy. The smaller advents are definatelly worth refoaming if you want to chat my screen name is hotrod4life396 hit me up we can talk more.

Archived