Large Advent Tweeters

Guest OldRelayer

Guest OldRelayer

I am thinking of buying a pair of Large Advents as an interim measure while I search for AR-5's or alternatively restore a pair of AR-3a's that will take a couple of months. So my objective would be to have something that sounds good but also something that is saleable when I am finished using it. I am considering a pair of Large Advents that would be $200 with shipping, which seems reasonable to me. The speakers are in Colorado and I am in Maine, so a little hard to hear them, but the owner maintains that they sound great. One tweeter is odd to say the least. Are these tweeters available, if so how much would one expect to pay.

Here is the good and the bad, one looks just like I would expect and the other is wellll.... you will see. I didn't realize the egg yoke thingme was just a dust cover?

This one looks quite normal

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/935.jpg

on the other hand this one looks quite odd

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/936.jpg

Even if this sounds good, will this make it hard to sell?

Thanks

Barry

post-101634-1138194868.jpg

post-5-1138194868.jpg

Barry -

I don't really understand what you are asking. I wouldn't use (or buy individually) the one with the "dust cap" blown out of it. Not if I'm going to have $200 in a used pair of Advents. I'd want really nice Advents for $200.

I can't tell what you are asking about "will this work" 'cause the link goes to a list. Do you mean the individual drivers or the $50 pair of walnut Advents or what?

Bret

Guest OldRelayer

Thanks Bret for the reply. Well you answered by question without even knowing what it was, that was pretty good. It was $100 for the speakers and $100 for shipping, so $200 for something with a tweeter that looks like that one isn't such a smart idea, I didn't think that was just a dust cover as the seller indicated, that is a damaged tweeter apparently. I was asking if this tweeeter would work, I am not sure that it will, but I guess I had the wrong address

http://shopaddicted.com/products/Large%20A...%20Tweeter.html

I was thinking if a replacement could be easily found that maybe it could work, replacing a tweeter if you had the correct one isn't terribly hard. Another option is it may be possible to get the speakers for $50 plus shipping, does that sound a little better? The buy now is $100 but the opening bid is $50, does that sound more reasonable?

I am getting a little frustrated trying to find a nice pair of vintage speakers. Today I was in Bangor and stopped in to Circuit City, and they actually have a sound room, unlike Best buy. Nobody even came in to help me, so I played with the speakers, mostly Infinity and Polk in the $400 range, and frankly I wasn't terribly impressed. So my venture into the vintage speaker will continue and continue to be frustrating I am sure.

Honestly, I'd pay $100 for that pair, but only if I had a tweeter scoped-out and on its way.

I see that the link you've provided is for a "tweeter.htm" but it still takes me to a list.

Bret

Hi Vern.

Yeah, I saw those, but I couldn't be sure Barry was talking about those.

Where's the Advent super-expert when you need him? I don't know what the difference is in those tweeters except minor cosmetics. I'd definitely want matching.

Bret

Guest OldRelayer

I am going to pass on those Advent speakers and as it turns out, may not even need an interim pair, things seem to be going faster than antisipated with the 3a's. Which is very good news, I am anxious to get something sounding great in my living room. When that happens, I will stop all these annoying posts.

Thanks guys for your help

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to comment that the middle dome in the tweeter is definitely NOT just a dust cover. It rediates the highest frequencies and the outside ring radiates the lower treble-mid frquencies (down to 1000Hz) where the crossover occurs to the woofer.

These show up very frequently on eBay.

By the way, the tweeter without the protective grille is one of the earliest before Advent added them in 1971. They also offered grilles to owners of the earliest speakers free of charge so they could add them to their tweeters

And, Oldrelayer, I think you should still consider getting a pair of the original Advents. They are great speakers!

Doug

Guest OldRelayer

Hello, thanks for the post.

I have heard the original Large Advents once, a friend bought a pair and matched it to the same amp I had at the time a Marantz 1070, I must say it sounded pretty terrific. But I guess you really have to be careful, its like Ford and GM, sure they make plenty of nice cars and plenty of crap, the trick is knowing the difference before you buy one.

My AR-3a's should be here in about two weeks, I hope. Truth be known, I have never heard a pair of 3a's. I had AR-5's which I loved and really wish I could find a nice pair, but they are so hard to find. A family member had a pair of 3's inherited from his father that he was driving with a very crappy Panasonic receiver that in no way did the speakers any justice. I am told the 3a's have a tad lower response but are not as crisp in the upper bass as the 5's, my hope that it isn't to terrible because the 5's had a real snap to them. I have little to compare them with, I haven't heard all that many systems but the ones I have heard I wasn't that excited about. So it is possible but not very likely that I could get the 3a's and not like them.

One thing is for sure the 3a's sure look nice but so do the Advents. The Advents were only going to be a stop gap while the 3a's were being restored.

Well, anyway, I need to got bid on a turntable.

Thanks for your help

Barry

>Hello, thanks for the post.

>

>I have heard the original Large Advents once, a friend bought

>a pair and matched it to the same amp I had at the time a

>Marantz 1070, I must say it sounded pretty terrific. But I

>guess you really have to be careful, its like Ford and GM,

>sure they make plenty of nice cars and plenty of crap, the

>trick is knowing the difference before you buy one.

>

>My AR-3a's should be here in about two weeks, I hope. Truth

>be known, I have never heard a pair of 3a's. I had AR-5's

>which I loved and really wish I could find a nice pair, but

>they are so hard to find. A family member had a pair of 3's

>inherited from his father that he was driving with a very

>crappy Panasonic receiver that in no way did the speakers any

>justice. I am told the 3a's have a tad lower response but are

>not as crisp in the upper bass as the 5's, my hope that it

>isn't to terrible because the 5's had a real snap to them. I

>have little to compare them with, I haven't heard all that

>many systems but the ones I have heard I wasn't that excited

>about. So it is possible but not very likely that I could get

>the 3a's and not like them.

>

>One thing is for sure the 3a's sure look nice but so do the

>Advents. The Advents were only going to be a stop gap while

>the 3a's were being restored.

>

>Well, anyway, I need to got bid on a turntable.

>

>Thanks for your help

>Barry

>

Hi Barry;

You should, in no way shape or form be disappointed with the AR-3A's you're getting.

If I make the comparison of, a grandson, father and grandfather.

The grandson is AR-4X's, the father AR-5's and the grand daddy is AR-3A's.

In comparing the sound between AR-5's and AR-3A's, I will say that the 3A's have a little more authority or oomph in power.

Good luck and enjoy a real classic speaker system.

I bet you won't be disappointed in the ARs, Barry. I have never heard the 3as but I had a friend in Toronto once that had a set of 10pis and they absolutely knocked me over.

It was kind of funny because he was standing with his back to me and adjusting the volume and asking me, at the same time, what I thought of the sound. When he turned around for my answer, he saw me sitting there with my jaw dropped open. Just incredible! He just smiled.

Doug

Archived