Horizontally stacked Advents?

pmsummer

I now have two pair of original Large Advents and intend to stack them, but with a toddling grandson visiting, I'm not comfortable with a verticle stacking (unlikely to knock 'em over, I know, but he is a boy).

How do they work stacked horizontally? I'm going to lift them about 8" from the floor with 8x8x8" cinder blocks).

Any experience doing this?

Thanks!

>I now have two pair of original Large Advents and intend to

>stack them, but with a toddling grandson visiting, I'm not

>comfortable with a verticle stacking (unlikely to knock 'em

>over, I know, but he is a boy).

>

>How do they work stacked horizontally? I'm going to lift them

>about 8" from the floor with 8x8x8" cinder blocks).

>

>Any experience doing this?

>

>Thanks!

Hi there;

Sorry, I don't know your name.

In the library section under Advent there is a "Double Advent" review.

They placed the speakers vertically with the tweeters closest together.

This configuration was seen by the reviewers at a stereo store, so they copied this configuration.

It wasn't mentioned who originally discovered this sound enhancement method, I don't think.

I don't remember them commenting how far above the floor the lowest pair were.

Usually you would have a stereo pair vertical, with the tweeter on top, and about ear level from where you are sitting.

I will assume that is still the best way to go with the Double Advents, just place the second pair upside down on top.

Possibly 2 aluminum bars or neoprene pieces can be screwed to the rear of the enclosures to fasten them together.

Raising the speakers off the floor will lessen the bass boost that placing them on the floor will exaggerate.

As the tweeter increases in frequency the dispersion narrows as well.

Any speaker is a target if it can be touched, including the grill cloth.

Your thought of horizontal stacking will not have the same dispersion characteristics as in an upright position.

If you have carpet, the highs will be absorbed by the carpet and a cement floor would exaggerate the highs.

At 8" high, the bass will probably be exaggerated slightly less, than sitting directly on the floor.

As a thought, if you were to fasten them together with a piece of neoprene (non-resonant).

Screw in a small eye hook perhaps where the speakers meet, screwed into the neoprene or enclosure and buy 4 bungee cords with hooks to eye hook them to the wall.

Should sound real nice.

Good luck.

Guest daveshel

I, too have recently added another pair to my '70s original and think the stacked sound is fantastic on my Van Alstine 170EX (modified Dynaco ST-120). I have never tried a horizontal stack, but from reading the aforementioned review, I do not think it would be the same. My stack delivers a wall of sound effect that reminds me of movie theaters back in the old days -it is truly an awesome synergistic effect.

>I, too have recently added another pair to my '70s original

>and think the stacked sound is fantastic on my Van Alstine

>170EX (modified Dynaco ST-120). I have never tried a

>horizontal stack, but from reading the aforementioned review,

>I do not think it would be the same. My stack delivers a wall

>of sound effect that reminds me of movie theaters back in the

>old days -it is truly an awesome synergistic effect.

Hi there;

Which setup are you using?

The vertical "Double Advents" as written up in the review?

I was writing to a chap I met on ebay last night and he owned in the old days, poor man, only, get this now, only 4 AR-3A's per channel.

If only, heh?

Could you imagine a divorce and a custody battle.

I am sure it must have sounded great though.

As far as the horizontal setup goes, I remember my youngest grand daughter getting mad at me one day and instead of sticking her tongue out at me, she ran up and punched in one AR 12" woofer dust cover.

I would have preferred a tongue wag instead.

A trial of the horizontal setup would be nice to hear an opinion from someone if there is a test.

Good luck and please write up your experiences.

Guest daveshel

Yes, the tweeter-to-tweeter vertical orientation as described.

I have used the same setup with 4 of those Baby Advent IIs with a Dynaco ST-70 and it does seem to have a synergistic effect but not so much as with the large Advents.

>Yes, the tweeter-to-tweeter vertical orientation as

>described.

>

>I have used the same setup with 4 of those Baby Advent IIs

>with a Dynaco ST-70 and it does seem to have a synergistic

>effect but not so much as with the large Advents.

Hi there;

This phenominum is interesting, maybe after all these years someone will come up one or more theories as to why.

And why only particularly, the Larger Advents?

Other than the "Double Advent" review, I have only heard of someone here in Vancouver, who used side by side, I believe, Dynaco A-25's with a Phase Linear 700, as I was told, many moons ago.

I think the person who told me was laughing as to the cost of the speakers versus the amp, rather than the quality or lack of, sound output.

The speakers bottomed out here at about $52.00 CDN each and the amp maybe, I'm guessing now, at maybe, $1,000.00 CDN.

Stacked AR-LST's is the only more recent "stacking" commentary I've read about.

Second mortgage speakers I think.

Now you with the Baby Advents.

I would like to hear a pair of Dynaco A-25's and AR-4X's stacked now.

It doesn't look too promising because after all these many years no-one seemed to promote this "stacking speakers" as anything special with other speaker brands.

Even the manufacturers, that I am aware of, didn't even suggest that setup.

More to come, I do hope.

Have a good one.

Dynaco ST-70 MMMMMMMMMMMMM I never owned one but MMMMMMMMMM.

• 9 months later...
Guest whboyd

I tried my double advents in every concievable way in the 70s using a crown dc300a amp and mcintosh mx110 tuner/preamp (with vinyl records of course)!

I felt the best sound was found by placing them both on low stands or tables (16-24") side-by-side. The customary "stacked" approach with the top one inverted sounded rather thin to me in comparison (step response to baffle width?).

I have not yet tried triple advents but am refurbing a couple of woofers now to give it a go. Anyone have comments on how they wire them? are they series/parallelled normally?

I have used the advent metal frame woofer to great success as a subwoofer (a pair on each channel), for years and built linkwitz circuits to extend the bass to 20hz which they handle quite well.

Regarding all the discussion on the tweeters rolling off, my answer to that in the 70s with the Crown amp, was to use a soundcraftsmen 20/20 graphic equalizer and simply boost the level at 16-20K, and also at 30hz. I believe Henry Kloss would've approved since he did lots of EQ with his various speakers to achieve frequency extremes - and it just sounded great! I think he even produced a graphic eQ. at Advent didn't he?

Great Forum BTW.

Bill Boyd

Cary, NC

Archived