building advent cabinets...advisible??

Guest analoguy

Guest analoguy

hi ...i was looking for another pair of large advents ..to have a double advent system ....while in the search ..i found that i could get a pair, just with out the cabinets ...(ie) 2 tweeters ,2 woofers and 2 crosovers with the bindingpost+selector ...so i thought if i could build the cabinets and stuff it with acoustic damping material ..like glasswool(i guess the original boxes were filled with glass wool??)..and make the speakers.

Is this advisible?...cause i thought i can take the mesurements form my exsisting advents ..as fas as i know ..the cabinets are made of "particle board"..and measure approx 26 inches hieght and 14.4 inches in breath ..its just an approximation !..well any way ..can this be done ..and would it sound like the originals?..or is it a misadventure ?...kindly guide me ...has anyone done this before ?...

regards senthil

Guest SpruceMoose

WELL WORTH THE EFFORT! i have been running a set of double advents for a couple of years in my living room for HT and music. each enclosure is divided inside so each woofer sees about the original volume. stuffed with the original foam: 5 1-foot square pieces 2" thick. soft foam rubber. fiberglas or poly stuffing would work, but i had all the original foam, so no guesswork involved. see:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/dcbo...g_id=110&page=4

do it and enjoy!

post-100436-1130419787.jpg

post-5-1130419787.jpg

>hi ...i was looking for another pair of large advents ..to

>have a double advent system ....while in the search ..i found

>that i could get a pair, just with out the cabinets ...(ie) 2

>tweeters ,2 woofers and 2 crosovers with the

>bindingpost+selector ...so i thought if i could build the

>cabinets and stuff it with acoustic damping material ..like

>glasswool(i guess the original boxes were filled with glass

>wool??)..and make the speakers.

> Is this advisible?...cause i thought i can

>take the mesurements form my exsisting advents ..as fas as i

>know ..the cabinets are made of "particle board"..and measure

>approx 26 inches hieght and 14.4 inches in breath ..its just

>an approximation !..well any way ..can this be done ..and

>would it sound like the originals?..or is it a misadventure

>?...kindly guide me ...has anyone done this before ?...

>

>

>regards senthil

Hi there;

You would not be the first person to go that route, for sure.

I believe the earliest Larger Advents had a pink insulation.

A black cloth/mesh was used to keep it away from the woofer cone.

Today, I might use Medite, rather than particle board or plywood, it is a little more inert.

I would carefully measure the inside dimensions of an original enclosure and even allow for some internal bracing in the new enclosure.

I have one pair that have pink insulation with the black cloth/mesh and another with large pieces of foam and no cloth.

It is possible that the foam was available as scraps, cheap, and no insulation, alergy problems for the workers.

You certainly can do a better job than the factory, the outer finish could be vinyl Mac Tac, spray painted or a veneer.

You certainly can have a great sounding system, for minimum investment, for sure.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Guest analoguy

hi thanks for the info ...and the pics....i dont know ..if i could build like ur degsin....any way i shall try ..and see wats possible here...

thanks

senthil

Guest analoguy

hi vern

thanks for the note ...now wats the material u were sugessting ?..is it MDF ?...

i rather go by building the excat replica of the original ,and stack them up tweeter to tweeter ...cause .i dont know ..about measuring the volume ..and combinig the both .

about the material inside ..to stuff...can i use simple foam ..which come in the bed and sofas ?...or is there any special foam ?...i shall come up with more questions ..once i start to build ....kindly guide me ...thanks

senthil

>hi vern

> thanks for the note ...now wats the material u were

>sugessting ?..is it MDF ?...

> i rather go by building the excat replica of the original

>,and stack them up tweeter to tweeter ...cause .i dont know

>..about measuring the volume ..and combinig the both .

> about the material inside ..to

>stuff...can i use simple foam ..which come in the bed and

>sofas ?...or is there any special foam ?...i shall come up

>with more questions ..once i start to build ....kindly guide

>me ...thanks

>

>senthil

>

Hi again;

MDF yes.

If the Advents that you have contain insulation, then I would weigh it out to the nearest ounce.

If yours has foam, then you would have to weigh it and try to find the same density foam.

AR speakers have a few cross braces of wood glued onto the cabinet walls to add strength.

By adding up these extra pieces in cubic inches, and subtracting this amount from the total cubic inches of the internal dimension of your original cabinet.

Good luck again and keep us up to date with your project please.

Great work! How would you describe them versus the Large Advents?

However, I thought the "double" Advents were 2 pair of Advents each side having 2 speakers "stacked" tweeter to tweeter and hooked up in parallel.

Well maybe we can call them "stacked" Advents and SpruceMoose's "Double" Advents.

The "stacked" Advents would NOT be worth building.

The "Double" Advents would have to be built unless SpruceMoose was selling his.

Guest russwollman

You can have some fun with this.

I built a new set of cabinets for some Smaller Advents, making them the same size as the originals. Cabinet volume is a crucial element in the system.

The other trick is to make the box strong. Once it's assembled and everything's fastened well and sealed well (remember, it's acoustic suspenion, which means a tightly sealed cabinet) you can work on the aesthetics, picking a veneer you like (or standard walnut, which can be costly).

Please forgive me if I've stated what may be obvious to you, but I don't know what you know!

I'll be happy to help you as well. I'm no expert but all the woodworking projects I've finished have turned out nicely. It doesn't take a lot of expensive equipment to do nice work, so you don't have to be tempted to buy an expensive widget to substitute for your native intelligence and cunning.

Guest analoguy

hi

i didnt know that "stacked advents" were diffrernt from "double advents"

so should i drop the idea of building a replica of the large advent ..and focus on mereging the two pairs into one ?

kindly let me know ??

regards

senthil

>Great work! How would you describe them versus the Large

>Advents?

>

>However, I thought the "double" Advents were 2 pair of Advents

>each side having 2 speakers "stacked" tweeter to tweeter and

>hooked up in parallel.

>

>Well maybe we can call them "stacked" Advents and

>SpruceMoose's "Double" Advents.

>

>The "stacked" Advents would NOT be worth building.

>

>The "Double" Advents would have to be built unless SpruceMoose

>was selling his.

>

>

>hi

> i didnt know that "stacked advents" were diffrernt from

>"double advents"

> so should i drop the idea of building a replica of

>the large advent ..and focus on mereging the two pairs into

>one ?

>

>kindly let me know ??

>

>regards

>senthil

>

>

>

>

>

>>Great work! How would you describe them versus the Large

>>Advents?

>>

>>However, I thought the "double" Advents were 2 pair of

>Advents

>>each side having 2 speakers "stacked" tweeter to tweeter and

>>hooked up in parallel.

>>

>>Well maybe we can call them "stacked" Advents and

>>SpruceMoose's "Double" Advents.

>>

>>The "stacked" Advents would NOT be worth building.

>>

>>The "Double" Advents would have to be built unless

>SpruceMoose

>>was selling his.

>>

Hi there;

I feel that, if you are very skilled at carpentry, you have two choices of enclosures to make.

The individual Larger Advent enclosures would be more manageable to handle.

The larger single enclosure would be physically a little more bulk to manage sawing, assembling and perhaps positioning.

The original "Double Advent" sytem was one Larger Advent inverted on top of another, so that the tweeters were closest together.

If you should decide to make the individual smaller enclosures, you can move them around or revert back to a four channel option as well.

Good luck again.

• 2 months later...
Guest paulr189

Hi. I am new to this forum, but thought I might reply even though you are probably far along on this project or have abandoned it. If you're going to build a new cabinet, why not make it larger? EPI, ADS/Braun and KLH used this trick regularly. Advent did not because the whole point was to make money for an early run at home video. Google Winslow Burhoe and Human Speakers to see some examples of how to make impressive multi-element acoustic suspension speakers. I have such a project in the works (four smaller advents in about an 8 cu. ft. box). Preliminary results are promising. Stay tuned.

BTW, why throw away the cabinets? One way to go about a project like this is just build around the existing cabinets (cut largish holes in sides that will connect if you decide for an overall larger interior volume). That's a lot more appealing if you start with the vinyl-clad cabinets, less so if you're covering up some nice walnut! The cladding/new cabinet can strengthen the whole system (and make it heavy, too!). If you go with this approach, step #1 is to hit Home Depot and buy as many large clamps as you can afford. Much urethane glue, too (e.g., Gorilla glue or the Borden equivalent).

Paul

Archived