Thanks for the info.

pmsummer

New member here.

I just purchased a pair of first gen "large" Advents to replace the ones I lost in a divorce 25 years ago (I kept the McIntosh, she got the speakers and the turntable). I seem to be recreating parts of my college/post college years, and getting the Advents replaced is part of that.

The information here will be quite helpful with "almost" my entire speaker collection. EPI 100s, Boston Acoustic A-150s, and now The Advent Speakers. My various pairs of Missions (754i, original 700, and some 760i), still come in and out of rotation in the absurd six systems I'm currently running. I don't count the Chinese-Cambridge Audio stuff that the computers output through.

But again, thanks for the collected wisdom here.

>New member here.

>

>I just purchased a pair of first gen "large" Advents to

>replace the ones I lost in a divorce 25 years ago (I kept the

>McIntosh, she got the speakers and the turntable). I seem to

>be recreating parts of my college/post college years, and

>getting the Advents replaced is part of that.

>

>The information here will be quite helpful with "almost" my

>entire speaker collection. EPI 100s, Boston Acoustic A-150s,

>and now The Advent Speakers. My various pairs of Missions

>(754i, original 700, and some 760i), still come in and out of

>rotation in the absurd six systems I'm currently running. I

>don't count the Chinese-Cambridge Audio stuff that the

>computers output through.

>

>But again, thanks for the collected wisdom here.

Hi there;

Only 6 systems?

Good choice regarding The Large Advents, clean and relatively authoritive.

You aren't the only one buying up classic hifi equipment.

Divorce is always such a very sad time for all concerned, sorry about the speakers and turntable loss, but you did get custody of the McIntosh at least.

Everything else can be replaced.

The only concern with the Advent's is foam deterioration, the Advents aren't alone in this regard.

A recently new member made fusing information of Buss FNM 8/10 amp slow blow fuses for The Large Advent, which is about the equivalent of AR-2AX's in power handling capacity.

If you check out the Advent library, you'll find the booklet of The Large and Small Advents with a Double Advent speaker review included, well worth reading.

If you check out the AR library, you will find fusing information sheets from AR, that will give you a rough idea as to power handling capacity using the 8/10 fuse.

The EPI 100's are approximately equivalent to AR-4X speakers in sound quality and power handling.

Good luck.

Thanks for the welcome, Vern.

I thought 1.0a fast blow fuses was the way to go with original Advents running as a pair? No? I'll look up the post.

As for the divorce, worked out best for the both of us, as unpleasant as it was. But that was a LONG time ago. I refer to that as my "trial-marriage". My "real" marriage is coming up on the 20 years. Maybe I'll buy my real wife a SECOND pair of original Advents for our anniverary so I can stack them. ;-)

>Thanks for the welcome, Vern.

>

>I thought 1.0a fast blow fuses was the way to go with original

>Advents running as a pair? No? I'll look up the post.

>

>As for the divorce, worked out best for the both of us, as

>unpleasant as it was. But that was a LONG time ago. I refer to

>that as my "trial-marriage". My "real" marriage is coming up

>on the 20 years. Maybe I'll buy my real wife a SECOND pair of

>original Advents for our anniverary so I can stack them. ;-)

Hi again;

You have an interesting web site, I visited it earlier today.

I was recommending 1 amp fast blow fuses in an open style fuseholder for just about any speaker sytem unless manufacturers gave us that information.

AR of course recommended Buss FNM type slow blow fuses for all of their speakers as listed in the AR library.

Expensive ($5.00 +/- ea) and difficult to obtain, as is, also the original Buss 4421 open style fuse holders.

If you visit the Crown Audio web site they have write-ups about amplifier power and also fusing speakers.

Well worth a visit for that vital information.

Do you listen to your speakers at maybe 85 dB, then about 150 watts is suggested.

You like it a little bit louder at 95 dB then 1500 watts.

They are basicly saying slow blow fuses for the woofers and fast blow the the uppers.

As you may know only a very few speaker sytems come equipped with factory installed fuseholders, AR-LST 1 & 2's and 10pi.

These were for the entire speaker unfortunately and didn't offer much tweeter protection.

Their recommendation sure is the wise way to go, but a little bit of work.

There again it would have been great if the manufacturers had done the experimenting with fuse sizes when drivers were more readily available.

The brochure in the Advent library has the 4 ohm Smaller Advent slow blow fuse size listed.

Advent never seemed to list the 8 ohm fuse rating FNM 8/10 amp for The Larger Advent, but as I mentioned earlier, it is in the works.

The Double Advent used a 3 amp fuse (see article) but as these speakers are over 25 years old they maybe should have a lower rated fuse.

Cheap to obtain off ebay, etc, but be certain they are the same series, in case of audible differences.

If you can afford the difference the oiled walnut finish has a little classier look, but economy vinyl sounds the same.

There was at least the raised or flush tweeters, the woofer with masonite ring and without, walnut cabinet with beveled edge and rounded.

See the amps that they used, Crown DC-300A and Phase Linear 700B but amps of a lesser power may still give a good output.

For your information only, not a recommendation, Heathkit used a 3 amp fast blow fuse in the AS-103 - AR-3A equiv. speaker system.

Good luck.

Archived