Older tweeters in newer Advents?

Guest coolraymo

Guest coolraymo

Hi , I own a set of 3rd generation Advents with the poly dome tweeters, and I wanted to change them to the 2nd generation ones ,because I thought they would sound smoother. So I got a nice pair on eBay, and put them in . They do sound nice , but I have to really crank the treble on my 2235 Marantz now to get them to have good high end, and now it just seems like there is something missing in the upper mid frequencies. Should I have also changed the crossover to the 2nd generation type too? Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated, I'm just trying to upgrade my sound. Thanks, Raymo

Guest rickcee

just as a guess - the first gen 'original Advent rolled cone/dome' my description - lasted untill about 1976 the second gen 'large Advent' has the rounded front moulding , compared to angled for original gen. I believe ( either Stereo Review or High Fidelity or . . .) that the second gen. tweeter was the same 'cone/ dome, but was retuned for brighter sound, and had ferrofluid for higher power capacity. Around '79 the company switched to a more genaric one inch dome tweeter, with higher crossover ( 1000 hz in orig., 1,800 for the 1" dome, perhaps)

by logic, the higher crossover would hurt the midrange response. would higher output at very highest freq. be worth that ? ?

enjoy. they're not new, no doubt new 'good' speakers ( paradigm,polk, etc) have improved over 20 years. one would hope.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived