double advents and surround sound q

Guest SpruceMoose

Guest SpruceMoose

Hi all!

been lurking here for a little while, just to see whats up. well, i finally registered, so heres a question (or 2) for ya.

i have owned a pair of new large advents since they were actually new, mid-late 70s. woofers refoamed once, about 10 years ago. i just bought another pair of woofers and tweeters, with xovers, off ebay. i am going to build a set of doubles. the basic plan is to build a box about 18w, 12d, 48h. two tweeters over two woofers, centered on the baffle. 3/4 mdf, double thick on front, with an angled divider inside to give each woofer the correct airspace. i plan to give the lower one a little less than "stock", and the upper one a little more, to spread out any resonant peaks a little. all leads will be brought out to the rear of the box, for possible bi-amp or bi-wire. probably never happen, but while i'm building, why not.

the intent is to end up with 2 systems sharing the advents. a modern surround sound system (100wpc x 6) for dvd, etc. and my dynaco pas2/stereo 70/dual 1245 for records, just running the advents in front.

any advice on the best dimensions for the box? if i measured correctly, the original enclosures are 1.63 cu ft each. any extra space will be filled with 2x or 4x4s. or stiffening panels?

any advice on the best match for rear/center channel speakers?

thanx in advance.

sm.

ps: pics when finished!

• 5 months later...
Guest SpruceMoose

well, i finally got a chance to buy, lay out, and cut all the mdf for the project. i still dont know if i will mount the tweeters in the box itself, or on top under a lightweight cover (grillcloth or wire mesh "cage" so i can aim them where i want them). if i mount them in the box, i will need to move the woofers down quite a bit, and then the lower one wont clear the end of the couch in the corner of the room. a pair of speaker stands would fix that, but it would need to be about 18 inches high, bringing the top of the speaker to about 5-1/2 feet. pretty big. i guess the tweeters on top method would be about 5 feet high, but i dont think it would look as imposing. is a puzzlement!

oh... i got my new receiver! a kenwood vr6070 thx 600 watts, etc etc. WOW! sounds nice!

pics when done. honest!

sm.

I must say I'm impressed with your ambitious project. Please let us all know how the finished product sounds. Don't forget to use some type of sound dampening material (fiberglass, etc.) Good luck

Guest SpruceMoose

well..... the second tweeter is installed, and i found some foam just like the original while i was cleaning up the attic! so now both sections have the correct amount. i ran the speaker wires from the receiver to the upper woofer/my original tweeter, as before. sounds the same as the original. then i jumpered the other drivers into the system with clip-leads. WOW! the sound really seems to get bigger. fuller. hard to describe, but i like it. now to build the other cabinet!!!

sm.

ps: more pics to follow.

• 2 months later...
Guest SpruceMoose

heres an updated picture. i still have to mount the other tweeter. i am using the foam blocks from the original cabinet. the new box is together, but not sealed up yet. i have to take it apart and reassemble with glue. it will be all sealed up, like the original. no removable panels. any internal work will be done through the woofer holes. it sounds just like the other original advent, but i only have the one woofer and tweeter hooked up, so i have basically just moved the components to another box. so far so good. more to come.

sm.

• 1 month later...
Guest SpruceMoose

ok. both cabinets assembled, and newer style tweeters put in to replace the older style. the older ones are going into the rear surround speakers. here are some pics.

notice the outboard tweeters are angled towards the center of the room (toed-in). that lets me keep the speakers farther apart along the wall without having to angle them in nearly as far as when the tweeters are mounted flat against the baffle. also gives a wider area for best stereo effect along the wall where the couch is.

sm.

ps: check out the grill badge. my wife's idea. they are double aadvents, after all!

thanx dear!!!

• 8 months later...

Unfortunately, the attachments from the previous version of the forum are indeed gone as the previous server was not my own and the hard drive was smoked.

It's probably worth noting, if you want pictures and/or attachments archived, email them to me and I'll put them up on the main website.

Sorry about that!

Mark

• 1 month later...

Archived