klh 12's ??

Guest ragman

Guest ragman

I need info on model 12's...I have a pair coming and plan on getting the x-overs checked and redone if needed but I cant find any info on these speakers at all...HELP..

Hi,

I had a pair of Twelves for a few years and enjoyed them very much. 12" woofer with cloth surround, 2 cloth surround midrange units in their own sub-enclosure within the speaker box and a 1-3/4" tweeter. The external crossover boxes allow you to adjust the contour of the woofer, midrange and highs. If you do not have the external crossover it is recommended that you not play the speaker. If you do have the crossovers and have reduced or no output from the mids and tweeter then the caps have probably dried up. I had my crossovers rebuilt but the guy who did it is no longer in business.

Hi there;

Great advice Dave.

Do heed Daves advice about not using those speakers without their dedicated crossover controllers.

The woofers will not suffer too much without them, other than a natural rolloff higher up in the woofers top end, but the mids and tweeters will surely self-destruct without the crossovers.

If these speakers should be used without their crossovers, they will probably only last about 10 seconds or less.

Use Deoxit contact cleaner on the rotary switch contacts, if you have some.

Be careful in connecting the correct coloured wires or there could also be a serious problem.

This would be a good opportunity to individually fuse each driver.

Great speakers, Good luck.

Guest ragman

thanks..they do have the x-overs and theres a teck local who can do them for me if needed,he's doing my old bozaks now..I'll be using a marantz 250 at 125 wpc , or a marantz 15 at 60 wpc - power amp to push them. i'll have to see whitch one they like best.. I dont know what the 12's are rated at as far as wpc goes...thanks again.

Hi,

I was using a Fisher x100b tubed integrated at 24wpc on my KLH's. Plenty of power in a smaller room for the Twelves. Your 60wpc or 125 wpc is plenty. Consider a tube amp as they were designed before solid state amplification was the major driving force in amplification. They are relatively efficient. One tweak I did was to re- seal the cloth surrounds on the woofers and midranges with a sealer from Orange County Speakers. it tightened up the bass and smoothed out the midrange a little.

Archived